Questioning Obama's Critics: Why the Dislike?

• News
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation touched on reasons why some individuals may dislike Obama, including lack of experience, vague messaging, and potential racism. Some also shared their dislike for all politicians and expressed concerns about Obama's foreign policy. Others discussed their support for McCain or other candidates.
LowlyPion said:
Hate no more.

Just in case it might have been ambiguous, I'm sure that LowlyPion was just playing off of the title of the thread there. No one here, not stewartcs nor anyone else, has been exhibiting hatred, just arguing for their beliefs.

Physics news on Phys.org
CaptainQuasar said:
Just in case it might have been ambiguous, I'm sure that LowlyPion was just playing off of the title of the thread there. No one here, not stewartcs nor anyone else, has been exhibiting hatred, just arguing for their beliefs.

For the record, and not knowing exactly how it might be read otherwise, let me say that I can't imagine that anyone that has participated here would have expressed any hatred, so much as has been discussing the undercurrents of the society in general. I think in fact those concerns have been shown to be misplaced, as we can now see in the election map, and Obama's over-achievement.

From the outpouring of joy most everywhere, I am left to wonder if the country as a whole didn't as well hold their collective breaths, wondering if they could trust everyone else to set aside whatever imagined prejudice there might be and simply vote on the merits. When the lights came on and the votes counted, I think it was in some small part relief that enough of everyone else had done the right thing.

Washington Memo, NY Times, November 9, 2008
Harsh Words About Obama? Never Mind Now
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/09/us/politics/09memo.html
By JIM RUTENBERG
That whole anti-American, friend-to-the-terrorists thing about President-elect Barack Obama? Never mind.

Just a few weeks ago, at the height of the campaign, Representative Michele Bachmann of Minnesota told Chris Matthews of MSNBC that, when it came to Mr. Obama, “I’m very concerned that he may have anti-American views.”

But there she was on Wednesday, after narrowly escaping defeat because of those comments, saying she was “extremely grateful that we have an African-American who has won this year.” Ms. Bachmann, a Republican, called Mr. Obama’s victory, which included her state, “a tremendous signal we sent.”

And it was not too long ago that Senator John McCain’s running mate, Gov. Sarah Palin of Alaska, accused Mr. Obama of “palling around with terrorists.”

But she took an entirely different tone on Thursday, when she chastised reporters for asking her questions about her war with some staff members in the McCain campaign at such a heady time. “Barack Obama has been elected president,” Ms. Palin said. “Let us, let us — let him — be able to kind of savor this moment, one, and not let the pettiness of maybe internal workings of the campaign erode any of the recognition of this historic moment that we’re in. And God bless Barack Obama and his beautiful family.”

There is a great tradition of paint-peeling political hyperbole during presidential campaign years. And there is an equally great tradition of backing off from it all afterward, though with varying degrees of deftness.

But given the intensity of some of the charges that have been made in the past few months, and the historic nature of Mr. Obama’s election, the exercise this year has been particularly whiplash-inducing, with its extreme before-and-after contrasts.

The shift in tone follows the magnanimous concession speech from Mr. McCain, of Arizona, who referred to Mr. Obama’s victory Tuesday night as “a historic election” and hailed the “special pride” it held for African-Americans. That led the vice president-elect, Senator Joseph R. Biden Jr., to get into the act. During the campaign, Mr. Biden said he no longer recognized Mr. McCain, an old friend. Now, he says, “We’re still friends.” President Bush, in turn, also hailed Mr. Obama’s victory, saying his arrival at the White House would be “a stirring sight.”

Whether it all heralds a new era of cooperation in Washington remains to be seen, and it may be downright doubtful. But for now, at least, it would seem to be part of an apparent rush to join what has emerged as a real moment in American history.

The presidential historian Doris Kearns Goodwin said she was hard-pressed to find a similar moment when the tone had changed so drastically, and so quickly, among so many people of such prominence.

“I don’t think that’s happened very often,” Ms. Goodwin said. “The best answer I can give you is they don’t want to be on the wrong side of history, and they recognize how the country saw this election, and how people feel that they’re living in a time of great historic moment.”

. . . .
Some folks have toned down their harsh rhetoric. However, realize that some are still full of hostility toward Obama, probably more out of fear of change. The two skin heads arrested for plotting to kill a large number of African Americans on the way to assassinate Obama represent the extreme, but hopefully very small minority.

Astronuc said:
Some folks have toned down their harsh rhetoric.

Not so much over at Fox. If anything, it seems to me, if it has lessened, it is only muted by their newly adopted resuscitate Sarah Palin agenda. Their unctuous idolatry simply oozes from their efforts at revisionism.

Universally their analysis seems to pick apart every potential suggestion for nominees or policy statements.

And they were just so shocked that their reporter was snubbed at the Press Conference. Perhaps if Fox represented something other than the Roger Ailes Hate Arm of the Far Right Propaganda machine, they might actually be judged as belonging to the Press Corps?

LowlyPion said:
And they were just so shocked that their reporter was snubbed at the Press Conference. Perhaps if Fox represented something other than the Roger Ailes Hate Arm of the Far Right Propaganda machine, they might actually be judged as belonging to the Press Corps?

Sure, but at the other extreme you have the McCain Double Talk Express that only let reporters who were friendly to him interview him. That's not change we can believe in, folks.

So do you snub a reporter because all he ever does is make up lies and false accusations, risking the slippery slope of destroying freedom of the press, or do you let this *** through to ask what color turban you will be wearing on inauguration day?

WarPhalange said:
Sure, but at the other extreme you have the McCain Double Talk Express that only let reporters who were friendly to him interview him. That's not change we can believe in, folks.

So do you snub a reporter because all he ever does is make up lies and false accusations, risking the slippery slope of destroying freedom of the press, or do you let this *** through to ask what color turban you will be wearing on inauguration day?

It surely wasn't change that many more than 46% of the people believed in anyway.

While I am certainly for freedom of the Press, and I think that some latitude should be given their expression, I do think that there needs to be quite a bit more balance than Fox has managed.

I understand there is a presumption that there is some kind of cabal of the Eastern media elite, presumably based on the tenuous perception of there being some correlation between Jews, liberals, media property owners and intellectuals - but I rather think the naked agenda of Fox to propagandize the Republican Party talking points represents some kind of failure to provide "fair and balanced" time to public issues is a bit of an over reaction to that idea.

LowlyPion said:
It surely wasn't change that many more than 46% of the people believed in anyway.

While I am certainly for freedom of the Press, and I think that some latitude should be given their expression, I do think that there needs to be quite a bit more balance than Fox has managed.

I understand there is a presumption that there is some kind of cabal of the Eastern media elite, presumably based on the tenuous perception of there being some correlation between Jews, liberals, media property owners and intellectuals - but I rather think the naked agenda of Fox to propagandize the Republican Party talking points represents some kind of failure to provide "fair and balanced" time to public issues is a bit of an over reaction to that idea.
What would you have done about this 'failure to provide'?

mheslep said:
What would you have done about this 'failure to provide'?

I'd look into having the FCC consider fines against Fox. Maybe even the FEC given that their air time represents an unbalanced unreported partisan contribution to the McCain and Palin campaign efforts.

And even now Fox is extending their programming to include specials from Alaska and indulging in Palin revisionist history in an attempt to resurrect her apparently for 2012. (Personally I'd think a fully loaded brain transplant would likely be a better tactic. How much education can she absorb in 4 years?)

So you don't think FOX 'news' is part of a liberal media conspiracy to make all republicans look bad?

Like the way that all supermarket tabloids are run by the CIA in order to ridicule UFO and bigfoot spotters and keep the secret under wraps.

LowlyPion said:
I'd look into having the FCC consider fines against Fox.
On what legal basis? That they're biased?

FOX has arrived at that far-reaching altar of a basis all their own.

mheslep said:
On what legal basis? That they're biased?

That would be a start.

Certainly they do not serve the public interest in their 24/7 propagandizing of the Republican talking points.

LowlyPion said:
And even now Fox is extending their programming to include specials from Alaska and indulging in Palin revisionist history in an attempt to resurrect her apparently for 2012.

Dehh, I just realized that the Mayan end-times prophecy is 2012. My God! It's true!

-I can't be the first to notice this. *hits search bar*

OAQfirst said:
-I can't be the first to notice this. *hits search bar*

No. You're close to being the first.

Only half a million hits.

Funny: Before the election and according to the righties, Obama was an extreme lefty. But now, according the lefties, he was a secret righty all along.

I have a strongly left leaning friend who is complaining by email. And Obama hasn't even assumed office yet!

Obama promised a balanced approach, so I would expect objections from the left and the right. And as we know, the right has been very happy with many of Obama's decisions. He has shown extremely good judgement.

Of course, many will spew vile and venom at his meeting with Gore, and and his comments on climate change, today.

Good job so far, Obama!

Reminds of a quote from a judge: ~"If everyone leaves unhappy, then I probably made a good decision"

Last edited:
He calls Obama, Obomba, :rofl:, because Obama plans to continue in Afghanistan.

He also begins his emails by calling me a butthead. :rofl: I have been accused here of being a closet liberal, and now I'm a closet righty.

Remember this one?

COLMUBUS, Oh (AP) - John McCain has called on a political
heavyweight to give his campaign a lift -- Arnold Schwarzenegger.
The California governor told a rally in Ohio that "Mac" is
back.
He ribbed McCain rival Barack Obama by saying Obama has "skinny
legs" and "scrawny arms"...
http://www.wkrg.com/politics/article/schwarzenegger_obama_has_scrawny_arms/20527/

And now we get this.

WASHINGTON - Forget Barack Obama's staff making contact with a governor charged with corruption. What's got everyone talking is the president-elect's fine first form.

"FIT FOR OFFICE: Buff Bam is Hawaii hunk," the New York Post gushed on its cover Tuesday above a photo of the future president strolling without a shirt in Hawaii. The Drudge Report called him "President Beefcake," while TMZ said the president-elect is "still humble enough to do laundry -- ON HIS ABS!"...
http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2008/dec/25/beach-photos-push-obama-toward-first-hunk-status/living/

Obama is probably the most physically fit President that we have ever seen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guvernor Arny said:
He ribbed McCain rival Barack Obama by saying Obama has "skinny
legs" and "scrawny arms"...
Compared to who? :rofl:

OAQfirst said:
Compared to who? :rofl:

:rofl: Maybe we should have allowed the ladies to decide who is the most buff by judging McCain and Obama in their swimming trunks.

Ivan Seeking said:
Obama is probably the most physically fit President that we have ever seen.

I dunno, I'd put my money on Bush in a running race against Obama.

maze said:

:rofl: At least we are finally getting down to substance!

maze said:
Running away from responsibility and accountability, running away from his record? Bush hands-down.

Bush did pretty good ducking those shoes.

Ivan Seeking said:
Of course, many will spew vile and venom at his meeting with Gore, and and his comments on climate change, today.
Did he say something condemnable?

LowlyPion said:
And on other fronts the RNC continues to endear itself to minorities with the "Barack the Magic Negro" flap.

"sending a CD with those lyrics shortly after electing the first African-American president -- one supported by nearly 97 percent of the African-American community -- shows a serious lack of judgment, tact "

Presumably a plan to get rid of the 3% that support your candidate?

mheslep said:
That phrase was coined in an LA Times article by left winger David Ehrenstein.
http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion...r19,0,5335087.story?coll=la-opinion-rightrail

Unfortunately context is everything. And the tin ears of Republicans looks to be further marginalizing themselves with such insensitive appeals to divisiveness. Serves them right after having botched up the economy under their loathsome stewardship these past 8 years. It looks like the country will be turning the page on unrestrained indulgence, not so much by choice as by the ruin that these ideologues have brought to all our doorsteps.

And Dick Cheney wonders why no one likes him I recently read?

Ouch. Here are some haters that got a smack down.
Judge assails cases doubting Obama's citizenship
By NEDRA PICKLER
WASHINGTON (AP) — A federal judge on Thursday threw out a lawsuit questioning President Barack Obama's citizenship, lambasting the case as a waste of the court's time and suggesting the plaintiff's attorney may have to compensate the president's lawyer.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jvhtmoNEnyP1Bu6Ol4zJsN94mlewD96O5TV03

Make them pay for the waste of the court's time as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ivan Seeking said:
So as not to derail other threads, it seemed best to start this one.

I am starting to think that the most vocal opponents are simply racists.

I am not "starting to think" that Democrats play the race card excessively. I know they have been playing it, for decades.

Nobody can say anything negative about a "person of color" without being branded by Democrats as "racists" and worse.

Point of reference: Robert Byrd, senator from West Virginia.

He is the only Ku Klux Klansman in the United States Congress.

Oh yes, and he's a Democrat.

Until Democrats stop playing the cynical race card, rational debate is impossible for them.

On national television, a room full of Obama supporters were asked by the newscaster to name ONE accomplishment of Senator Obama. A room full of people, mind you.

Between them, they could not name one single thing.

Oh but this guy is "good." (Hint: He's black.)

BarackZero said:
Between them ...
Among them ...

BarackZero said:
Robert Byrd, senator from West Virginia.

He is the only Ku Klux Klansman in the United States Congress.

Nobody's perfect.

Of course that has absolutely nothing to do with Barack Obama.

LowlyPion said:
Nobody's perfect.

Of course that has absolutely nothing to do with Barack Obama.

Yeah how can you be sure he isn't also a member? hmm?

neu said:
Yeah how can you be sure he isn't also a member? hmm?

If he is, he hides it well.