Questions about centripetal force

In summary, the students are using centripetal force to keep from falling while on the Gravitron amusement ride. The centripetal force is provided by the force of friction between the riders and the wall of the Gravitron.
sheenu32
1. Mr. B takes his grade 12 physics class to the local amusement park at Hopedale Mall to conduct some experiments on friction and centripetal force in the gravitron. The Gravitron is an amusement park ride shaped like a vertical cylinder with a radius of 7m. Riders stand with tier backs against the inside wall of the cylinder, facing the center. As the cylinder begins to rotate faster and faster, the riders become pinned to the wall. The floor then dissapears and the riders are left suspended against the wall as the ride continues to rotate at top speed.

a) what must be exerting force on the riders to give them the necessary centripetal force directed towards the center of the cylinder? what type of force is this?
b) What must be true about the vertical forces on the riders, given that they are moving in a horizontal circle?
c) what force is holding the riders up against gravity so that they do not fall?
d) Given the coeffience of friction between a typical rider and the wall is aprroximately 0.4, what is the minimum freequency of rotation required so that the riders do not fall? Express yur answer in rpm.

Homework Equations

for part d i think we use this equation
Fc= mass*4*radius^2*freequency^2

The Attempt at a Solution

a) i think the answer for this is the gravity of the Earth that's exerting force. This is Fg force which is equal to Fn
b) they should b equal to each other positive
c) Ff
d) i didnn know how to solve this at all

Plz try to help me i m kinda stuck i get the idea but i donnohow to explain it

Physics news on Phys.org
Gravity acts downwards, so how can it possibly be directed towards the center of the circle of motion as a centripetal force?

danago said:
Gravity acts downwards, so how can it possibly be directed towards the center of the circle of motion as a centripetal force?

oh so the force that's towards the centre is the force of friction?

sheenu32 said:
oh so the force that's towards the centre is the force of friction?

No. Frictional force acts in the opposite direction to the gravitational force.
And the normal force is provided by the centrifugal force due to rotation of the cylinder.

Alright what's up sheenu32, i have feeling i am your class, so let me attempt question for you.
a) I believe you are right about the normal force, but the normal is not the force of gravity, it is the force exerted by wall on the passenger.
b)they cancel out
c)the force of friction of the wall
d) well this is how i attempted it:
Ff=Fn*.4
Fn=Ff/.4
Fn=Fc
Ff=mg(opposite force of gravity)
mg/.4=m4pi^2rf^2
m cancel
g/.4=4*pi^2(7)f^2
24.5=4*pi^2(7)f^2
f=.30 Hz
convert .30 Hz to rpm
and tada you get your answer
I think that's right lol
someone correct me if they see something wrong
PLEASE WE HAVE BIG TEST ON MONDAY!

Interest said:
Alright what's up sheenu32, i have feeling i am your class, so let me attempt question for you.
a) I believe you are right about the normal force, but the normal is not the force of gravity, it is the force exerted by wall on the passenger.
b)they cancel out
c)the force of friction of the wall
d) well this is how i attempted it:
Ff=Fn*.4
Fn=Ff/.4
Fn=Fc
Ff=mg(opposite force of gravity)
mg/.4=m4pi^2rf^2
m cancel
g/.4=4*pi^2(7)f^2
24.5=4*pi^2(7)f^2
f=.30 Hz
convert .30 Hz to rpm
and tada you get your answer
I think that's right lol
someone correct me if they see something wrong
PLEASE WE HAVE BIG TEST ON MONDAY!

ooo thnx but we need to give more explanations for it though

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It acts towards the center of the circle and is necessary for an object to maintain its circular motion.

2. How is centripetal force different from other types of forces?

Centripetal force is a special type of force that is always directed towards the center of a circle, while other forces can act in any direction. It is also a result of an object's inertia and the velocity of the object, rather than being caused by an external source.

3. What are some real-life examples of centripetal force?

Some common examples of centripetal force include the force that keeps a satellite in orbit around a planet, the force that keeps a car moving around a curved track, and the force that keeps water moving in a circular motion in a washing machine.

4. How is centripetal force calculated?

The magnitude of centripetal force can be calculated using the formula F = mv²/r, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path.

5. What happens if there is no centripetal force acting on an object?

If there is no centripetal force acting on an object, the object will continue moving in a straight line with a constant speed, rather than following a circular path. This is known as Newton's first law of motion, or the law of inertia.