1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions about Engineering Physics Degree

1. May 10, 2014 #1
    With an engineering physics degree, which concentration would bring more job opportunities? Mechanical or electrical engineering?

In terms of electrical engineering, I know an EP degree is good for going into nanoelectronics/photonics. Any other areas? Anything in power engineering specifically?

As for mechanical engineering, what areas in ME combine well with a physics background?

Is it true that upper level physics classes are a lot more mathematically intense than engineering courses?

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2014 #2
    Depends on what part of the country and what industry you want to work in.

Many kinds of EE.

Many. CFD, for instance.

Perhaps a tad more mathy depending on the class/school/teacher, but not "much" more than mech, aero, chem, or EE.

Howevs, there is probably more more mathematical breadth in physics.

4. May 11, 2014 #3
    I would prefer to work in northeastern USA. As for what industry, I would like to be involved in anything with internal combustion engines or aerospace if I do a mechanical concentration and anything to do with power (motors, generators, transformers, power electronics, and power systems) if I do an electrical concentration.

How would an engineering physics major get involved in motors, generators, and power electronics?

What is it about CFD that a plain old mechanical engineer wouldn't have enough knowledge about? Also, any other ME/physics collaboration examples?

5. May 11, 2014 #4

Does your school not offer engineering? My school offered engineering physics but after talking to some people, almost no one knew what it was, so imagine being a human resource person who is told to hire an engineer with a specific engineering degree. What do you think is going to happen to your application when your degree says engineering physics? From all your interest it sounds like you just want to be a mechanical engineer anyway, you can always minor in physics. Leave the engineering physics stuff to those that want to do research or go to graduate school. For a job, get an engineering degree, a lot of jobs look for accredited engineering degrees and most engineering physics programs are not abet accredited

6. May 11, 2014 #5
    I did a double degree in ME and physics (graduating in two weeks). EP is only offered at a handful of universities. Cornell and Wisconsin come to mind. I would go with what I did or better yet, a BS in nuclear engineering. Minors are generally useless.

7. May 12, 2014 #6
    To be honest, I'm actually a little more interested in physics than any engineering field. However, I do have a lot of interest in mechanical and electrical engineering too. So I figured an eng. phys. degree would be perfect to satisfy my interests. I'm just trying to figure out whether physics combines better with EE or ME.

Also, I probably will go to grad school. Sorry I didn't mention that. I also talked to some professors and they said they have a strong interest in eng. phys. students applying to their research labs. (My school is big on nanotechnology research.)

As for jobs, I understand plain ol' ME and EE degrees look better than an eng. phys. degree but I should mention a few things. On my resume, I would explain that eng. phys. majors take most of the engineering classes that an ME or EE would take. Also, even though the eng. phys. program itself is not ABET-accredited, the engineering courses I'm taking are. Finally, I would also emphasize that I have a lot more internship experience than the average engineering student. Thanks to connections I have, I've had an internship since the summer after my first year in school.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook