Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions about moons of the solar system

1. Dec 28, 2013 #1
    At first, i would have questions about Io.
    How should i imagine the electric flux between it and Jupiter?
    Does it make a series of lightnings, aurora borealis, jam nearby radio communications?

In an Asimov book they needed some magitech to reach Io, is it really so deep in the gravity well?

I read Rise of the Leviathan, where Deimos was destroyed in the battle between Earth and Mars.
    Could a bomb like the Tsar destroy a moon like Deimos?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Looks like a system of continuous currents, but I'm sure there are books about that.

~25km/s with a direct approach, neglecting Io itself (compared to ~11km/s for earth), but a clever choice of orbits allows to approach it with less delta-v. The Jupiter Europa Orbiter would have done something similar to reduce its speed.

1.4*10^16J gravitational binding energy, a factor 10 below the Tsar bomb. Could be possible if you let it explode in the center. You might get multiple large fragments.

Last edited: May 10, 2014
  4. Dec 28, 2013 #3

Borek

Note: there are reasons to believe Tsar bomb was designed to be scalable, so in principle it should be not difficult to make it even more powerful.

5. May 9, 2014 #4
  6. May 10, 2014 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Yes. The bomb would mainly emit some high-energetic radiation to space and melt a part of the surface.
    Cover of what? If the explosion is violent enough, most of them would hit the surface of Mars within an orbit, or escape to interplanetary space.

7. May 15, 2014 #6
    "If the explosion is violent enough, most of them would hit the surface of Mars within an orbit, or escape to interplanetary space. "

Thanks i havent thought about that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook