Centripetal forces in our solar system

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of centripetal forces in the solar system and the difficulty in finding a connection between them. The mean centripetal forces for planets around the sun and moons around Jupiter were found to be significantly different, and efforts were made to identify a relationship between them. The suggestion was made to focus on a single planet or moon at a time and consider three factors - the mass of the primary, the mass of the secondary, and the distance between the two - in determining the centripetal force.
nibbel11
i calculated the centripetal forces in our solar system but i can't seem to find a connection
using the centripetal force formula:

Fmpz=(m⋅v2)/r

i found out that the mean centripetal force for the planets around the sun is about 10^39,
the mean centripetal of the moons around Jupiter is about 10^21
and the centripetal of the moon is 10^20

i checked a few logical difference of these bodies but coulden't get a match with the mutliply factor between these numbers

Physics news on Phys.org
What kind of connection did you expect to find ?

a connection between the masses and the mean centripetal forces or the gravity

nibbel11 said:
a connection between the masses and the mean centripetal forces or the gravity
Rather than complicate your task by considering all the satellites around the sun or all the moons around Jupiter, why not concentrate on a single planet or on a single moon at a time.

Rather than looking at just one factor in determining the centripetal force, consider three factors: the mass of the primary, the mass of the secondary and the distance between the two. There is a precise relationship that can be found for centripetal force in terms of those factors.

Likes BvU
so let's say europa(the moon), Jupiter and the distance. i going to look into that, thanks

1. How are centripetal forces involved in keeping planets in orbit?

The centripetal force is the force that pulls an object towards the center of its circular path. In our solar system, the centripetal force is provided by the gravitational pull of the sun. This force keeps the planets in orbit around the sun and prevents them from flying off into space.

2. Why do the planets orbit at different speeds?

The speed of a planet's orbit is determined by its distance from the sun. The closer a planet is to the sun, the stronger the gravitational pull and the faster it will orbit. This is known as Kepler's third law of planetary motion.

3. How does centripetal force affect the shape of planetary orbits?

The centripetal force acts towards the center of the orbit, causing the planets to move in an elliptical shape. The closer a planet is to the sun, the more circular its orbit will be. This is why the orbits of the outer planets are more elongated than those of the inner planets.

4. Can centripetal force explain why the planets all orbit in the same direction?

Centripetal force cannot explain why the planets orbit in the same direction. The initial rotation of the solar nebula from which the planets formed is believed to be the reason for this phenomenon.

5. Are there any other factors, besides centripetal force, that affect planetary orbits?

Yes, other factors such as the gravitational pull of other planets and the shape of the planet's orbit can also affect its orbit. For example, the gravitational pull of Jupiter can affect the orbits of smaller planets in the solar system.