Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centripetal forces in our solar system

1. Jan 29, 2016 #1
    i calculated the centripetal forces in our solar system but i can't seem to find a connection
    using the centripetal force formula:

Fmpz=(m⋅v2)/r

i found out that the mean centripetal force for the planets around the sun is about 10^39,
    the mean centripetal of the moons around jupiter is about 10^21
    and the centripetal of the moon is 10^20

i checked a few logical difference of these bodies but coulden't get a match with the mutliply factor between these numbers

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What kind of connection did you expect to find ?

4. Jan 29, 2016 #3
    a connection between the masses and the mean centripetal forces or the gravity

5. Jan 29, 2016 #4

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

Rather than complicate your task by considering all the satellites around the sun or all the moons around Jupiter, why not concentrate on a single planet or on a single moon at a time.

Rather than looking at just one factor in determining the centripetal force, consider three factors: the mass of the primary, the mass of the secondary and the distance between the two. There is a precise relationship that can be found for centripetal force in terms of those factors.

6. Jan 29, 2016 #5
    so let's say europa(the moon), jupiter and the distance. i going to look into that, thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook