Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions about radiative decay modes

1. Sep 16, 2008 #1
    Let's take for example the decay K+ -> pi+,pi0,gamma

This can proceed via direct emission or inner bremsstrahlung. I have questions for each of these modes

1. For inner bremsstrahlung, it is a final charged product that radiates, correct? In this case the pi+. What is causing the deceleration of the pi+ such that it radiates?

2. Does direct emission only come from from virtual particles or can it come from (in this example) one of the 4 quarks in the final state?

Thanks for any help in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2008 #2
    I don't think it's appropriate to talk about "deceleration" in this context. IB is simply a radiative QED effect.

By definition, DE occurs before pions are fully formed. Fully formed pi0 is neutral and can't radiate, gammas emitted from fully formed pi+ are part of IB.

4. Sep 16, 2008 #3
    So the DE photons come only from the virtual particles and IB from the fully formed ones? How do you differentiate between these two modes experimentally?

5. Sep 17, 2008 #4
    IB is the dominant mechanism and DE is a tiny correction to that. IB width is easily calculated using QED, DE is much more nontrivial because you can't fully explain processes that go on during the decay of K in terms of virtual particles and perturbative QCD. I'm not an expert, but I'd imagine that spectra would be different.

See this presentation, hope it helps

http://www.lnf.infn.it/wg/vus/workshop07/Talks/Raggi.ppt

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?