Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can we find EM radiation in charged particle's decays?

1. Nov 6, 2014 #1

ORF

Hello.

I was taught that a charge which changes its velocity must radiate (at least, in classical electrodynamics).

Let's consider a charged particle which decays into another charged particle (and, maybe, others neutral particles; but not photons). In this case, can we find electromagnetic radiation?

I found a particular example*,
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bremsstrahlung#Beta_decay
    but I wonder if this a general feature of charged particle's decays.

If this question is already answered in this forum, just tell me, and I will delete this thread.

Thank you for your time :)

Greetings
    *"The "inner" bremsstrahlung arises from the creation of the electron [...]"
    PS: My mother language is not English, so I'll be glad if you correct any mistake.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

In classical physics, indeed.
    If you explicitely rule out photons as decay product, then we cannot find photons.

Bremsstrahlung is not a particle decay.

4. Nov 6, 2014 #3

ORF

Hello.

Wikipedia's article says that exist "radiation from the creation of a charged particle". Maybe the first question I should have made is: can we find bremsstrahlung in charged particle's creations/annihilations?

I put the idea into the wrong words. Let's take one example: the beta-decay itself doesn't involve photons, but they appear as Bremsstrahlung.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bremsstrahlung#Beta_decay

My (reformulated) doubt is: every charged-to-charged particle's decay involve Bremsstrahlung?

Thank you for your patience and time :)

Greetings.

5. Nov 6, 2014 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

That can be called Bremsstrahlung as well, right. I thought of the process of electrons in matter in post 2.

At least not always in a way particle detectors could see it. Very low-energetic photons... could be.

6. Nov 7, 2014 #5

ORF

Hello.

Ok, that was what I thought. Is there any book/link which explains this issue? I would like further information :)

Thank you for your time :)

Greetings.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook