Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions about the concept of subspace of linear transformation

1. Oct 22, 2007 #1
    Hi all,
    I have some questions about the concept of subspace of linear transformation and its dimension, when I try to prove following problems:
    Prove T is a finite dimensional subspace of L(V) and U is a finite dimensional subspace of V, then
    T(U) = {F(u) | F is in T, u is in U} is a subspace of V,
    Dim(T(U))<=(dim(T))(dim(U))

What does “T is a finite dimensional subspace of L(V)” mean?
    L1(v)+L2(v) = (L1+L2)(v)
    aL1(v) = (aL1)(v) ?

and what is dim(T) and dim(T(U))?

Every Linear transformation has its Matrix format, dim(T) is dim(M(T))?
    I am a fish in Linear algebra. Hope I explain my questions clearly.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2007 #2

radou

Homework Helper

You are a fish in definitions, obviously. First of all, I assume that by L(V) you mean the vector space of all linear operators from some finite dimensional space V to V?

4. Oct 22, 2007 #3
    Yeah, L(V) means the vector space of all linear operators from finite dimensional space V to V.

5. Oct 23, 2007 #4

radou

Homework Helper

OK, so, first of all, I assume this is the problem statement:

Prove that, if T is a finite dimensional subspace of L(V) and U is a finite dimensional subspace of V, then
    (i) T(U) = {F(u) | F is in T, u is in U} is a subspace of V,
    (ii) Dim(T(U))<=(dim(T))(dim(U)) .

In general, if A : V --> W is a linear operator, and L is a subspace of V, then A(L) is a subspace of W. Do you know how to prove that?

6. Oct 23, 2007 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If T is a subspace of V, then what do you mean by T(U)? If F is in T, then F is a vector in V. What do you mean by F(u)?

7. Oct 23, 2007 #6

radou

Homework Helper

He said T was a subspace of L(V), not V.

8. Oct 23, 2007 #7
    yeah, I know how to prove it.
    I just has an idea of what does "T is a finite dimensional subspace of L(V)" mean.
    Does It mean that T is a subset of one kind of operator and this subset must be closed under addition and scalar multiplication.
    for example, the non-invertible operator is not a subspace of L(V), cause it is not closed under addition. [tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}1&0\\0&0\end{array}\right)[/tex] and [tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}0&0\\0&1\end{array}\right)[/tex] they are both non-invertible operator but their addition [tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}1&0\\0&1\end{array}\right)[/tex] is invertible.

9. Oct 23, 2007 #8

radou

Homework Helper

Yes, exactly.

For example, take some subspace M of V. We say that M is invariant under the operator A, if A(M) is in M. Now, for some fixed subspace M, take the set of all operators such that M is invariant for these operators. Then this set is a subspace of L(V).

Edit: perhaps a more instructive example of a subspace of L(V) would be the space of all continuous linear operators from V to V.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
  10. Oct 23, 2007 #9
    Thank you radou.
    I think I've already figured out how to prove the problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?