Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions about the definition of open sets

1. Nov 19, 2013 #1
    I am currently reading Munkres' book on topology, in it he defines an open sets as follows:
    "If X is a topological space with topology T, we say that a subset U of X is an open set of X if U belongs to the collection T."

Firstly, are the open sets a property of the set X or the topological space (X,T)? Because if the open sets are all the things in the collection T of a particular topological space, different topological spaces on the same set would have different open sets. Making the whole notion of open sets of a set ill defined.

Which brings me to my next question: are the open sets the sets in all possible collections T for a set X (in which case defining the open sets of a set makes sense), or are the open sets of a topological space the sets in the collection T of that topological space? In the second case I guess saying the open sets of X would have the fact that the open sets are a property of (X,T) implied. Since also the collection T itself is implied.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2013 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

Openness is a property of topological spaces. A set [itex]U \subset X[/itex] is open in [itex](X,\mathcal{T})[/itex] if and only if [itex]U \in \mathcal{T}[/itex].

4. Nov 19, 2013 #3
    To elaborate:

Given a set [itex]X[/itex], there's no innate meaning to an "open subset of [itex]X[/itex]". When somebody refers to, for example, an open subset of [itex]\mathbb R[/itex], what they mean is an element of [itex]\mathcal T_{\mathbb R}[/itex], which is just the usual (i.e. the one defined by absolute value) distance on [itex]\mathbb R[/itex].

5. Nov 19, 2013 #4
    It's not ill defined, there is just more than one possible topology on a set X.

6. Nov 19, 2013 #5
    Its the second case. Since in general there are many topological spaces for one set, [itex]X[/itex], so the open sets of a topological space of [itex]X[/itex] will depend on which topological space of [itex]X[/itex] you are working with.

7. Nov 20, 2013 #6
    Open sets are completely determined by the topology on the set. Consider the indiscrete topology; only the empty set and the set itself are open (clopen). Why? Because that collection of the empty set and the point set itself meet all the requirements of being a topology, and we call the members of a topology "open sets."

If you've taken linear algebra - it's exactly how "vectors" are just members of a set we can call a "vector space." In topology, "open sets" are just member of a collection of sets that we can call a "topology."

If you can construct of a family of subsets of X such that it includes X, includes the empty set, and includes any union and finite intersection of other members of the family, you have a topology, and its members are called open sets.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook