Questions about the delta function

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the delta function and its application in a specific integral. The individual is unsure about the correct approach and discusses a potential solution using substitution. They also address a potential issue with the substitution and the bounds of the integral.
rmiller70015

Homework Statement

I just have a quick question about the delta function, I'm pretty confident in most other cases but in this simple one I'm not so sure.

$$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \phi (x)\delta (-x)dx$$

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
$$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \phi (x)\delta (-x)dx$$
Using substitution where u=-x and du=-dx:
$$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \phi (-u)\delta (u)(-du) = -\phi (0)$$
Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Wouldn't that yield ##\phi(-0)## instead of ##-\phi(0)## ?

Likes rmiller70015
BvU said:
Wouldn't that yield ##\phi(-0)## instead of ##-\phi(0)## ?
I'm not entirely sure. I do realize that there should be a negative inside the phi test function but I omitted it because it's zero anyway and I would have had to account for it if the delta function was something like (x-a), but here I didn't. However, when I do the substitution I have to deal with a negative u differential which makes the whole function negative in my mind.

And the bounds of the integral ?

Likes rmiller70015
Ahh the bounds so when I do the substitution I get:
$$-\int_{\infty}^{-\infty} \phi (-u)\delta (u)du$$
Then I change my limits and lose the negative.
Thank you.

1. What is the delta function?

The delta function, denoted as δ(x), is a mathematical concept in calculus that represents a function that is zero everywhere except at x = 0, where it is infinite. It is also known as the Dirac delta function, named after physicist Paul Dirac.

2. How is the delta function used in science?

The delta function is commonly used in science to model point sources, such as the mass or charge of a particle concentrated at a single point. It is also used in solving differential equations and in Fourier analysis to represent a single frequency component in a signal.

3. What are the properties of the delta function?

The delta function has several important properties, including: it is zero everywhere except at x = 0, its integral over all real numbers is equal to 1, and it is infinitely tall and infinitely narrow. It also follows the sifting property, where it can "sift out" a specific value from an integral.

4. Can the delta function be graphed?

No, the delta function cannot be graphed in the traditional sense as it is infinitely tall and infinitely narrow. However, it can be represented as a spike at x = 0 on a graph with the y-axis representing its value.

5. How is the delta function related to the Kronecker delta?

The delta function and the Kronecker delta are closely related, but they are not the same thing. The Kronecker delta, denoted as δij, is a discrete version of the delta function and is equal to 1 when i = j and 0 otherwise. It is commonly used in linear algebra and discrete mathematics.