Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions about the (Spatial) Fourth Dimension

1. Jun 4, 2014 #1
    I have a couple questions I have been thinking about:

Say that there is a two dimensional, three dimensional, and four dimensional spatial worlds lined up. If I poked my finger through the two dimensional world they would see a circle. If a fourth dimensional person poked their finger through our world would we see a sphere?

Another thing, would the opening of fourth dimensional tunnel be a 3D hole accessible from 6 sides?

(If I don't know something obvious it's because I'm in seventh grade and haven't learned it yet.)

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2014 #2

ChrisVer

Gold Member

yes, what you'd see is a sphere.... it's like what they are saying for large extra dimensions... if you suddenly saw a a 3D object (let's say sphere) starting growing out of nowhere and then starting to collapse again until it disappears it would mean that a 4spatial dimensional object passed through our world dimensions...
    All these are funnily explained from the flatland... if you passed your finger in that world, the 2d people would see a shape appearing (let's say a circle) growing, and then disappearing as you take your finger out of their flat dimension...

I don't get your 2nd question...

4. Jun 4, 2014 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I highly recommend you read the book Flatland, freely available here: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/201

It is very accessible but also a very good read. I still read it now and then because it's very well written.

5. Jun 4, 2014 #4
    Thank you for all of the feedback.

6. Jun 11, 2014 #5
    I gotta say, you are a very impressive seventh grader! Keep at it dude!

Really though, there is a lot more that could be said about this topic. Not to be a hater, but ChrisVer basically answered yes and repeated your same line of logic. This whole question could be approached from a mathematical standpoint and I'm sure the results would be a lot more satisfying.

e-
    For your second question, what do you consider to be a 3D tunnel?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  7. Jun 11, 2014 #6

ChrisVer

Gold Member

well OK... just to be more precise... in the 2D world they wouldn't necessarily see a circle, neither in our 3D world would they see a sphere.... the correct shape is just the projection of the object...
    if your finger's projection is a circle, so be it... I am not so sure ...

8. Jun 11, 2014 #7
    If you want some more food for thought, consider this: when you poke your finger across a 2D world, the 2D beings themselves won't see a circle since they will have 2D eyes and so will see in 1D :)

Just as how we live in a 3D world with 3D eyes but see in 2D (although our brains make it look like we're seeing 3D).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook