Questions about variations on Double Slit experiment

In summary, the conversation discusses two variations of a double slit experiment and their implications. The first variation involves the photon passing through a single slit and then a double slit, causing a collapse of the wave function and questions about whether the photon goes through only one of the remaining slits or if its wave form reconstitutes. The second variation involves placing a barrier between the two slits, theoretically preventing interference. It is questioned whether an interference pattern would still be observed. It is noted that such experiments have been performed with various objects, demonstrating their wave and particle properties.
underworld
I've been wondering about the implications of this experiment and have a couple of questions about variations that I'm wondering if anyone has done. (I did not find any examples of these variations elsewhere).

1) In this variation, you have the photon pass through the slits twice. First through a single slit, then through a double slit. My thought is that a single slit, according to my understanding of other experiments, causes the collapse of the wave function, "forcing" the photon to a particle. If it's a particle, then does it go through only 1 of the 2 remaining slits? Or does its wave form "reconstitute" and the same interference pattern is observed?

2) In this variation, a divider or barrier is placed between the two slits - thus theoretically preventing interference. In this case, is an interference pattern observed? Is any pattern observed?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Physics news on Phys.org
underworld said:
I've been wondering about the implications of this experiment and have a couple of questions about variations that I'm wondering if anyone has done. (I did not find any examples of these variations elsewhere).

1) In this variation, you have the photon pass through the slits twice. First through a single slit, then through a double slit. My thought is that a single slit, according to my understanding of other experiments, causes the collapse of the wave function, "forcing" the photon to a particle. If it's a particle, then does it go through only 1 of the 2 remaining slits? Or does its wave form "reconstitute" and the same interference pattern is observed?

2) In this variation, a divider or barrier is placed between the two slits - thus theoretically preventing interference. In this case, is an interference pattern observed? Is any pattern observed?

Thanks for your thoughts.

1) That does not really change anything.

2) No interference because you know which slit it went through - or could know. That eliminates the the interference effects.

DrChinese said:
1) That does not really change anything.
I assume that means the experiment would show an interference pattern (implying that the photon went from particle to wave somewhere along the way).

2) No interference because you know which slit it went through - or could know. That eliminates the the interference effects.

I guess I'm having trouble with this. My understanding (or "interpretation") is that the interference pattern is a result of a wave passing through both slits and interfering with itself. If that's the case, then there would be no concept of "which slit", since it would always be "both slits". But I would expect no interference because the wave would still not be able to interfere with itself due to the barrier.

What I'm curious about is whether such experiments have actually been performed.

underworld said:
1. I assume that means the experiment would show an interference pattern (implying that the photon went from particle to wave somewhere along the way).

2. I guess I'm having trouble with this. My understanding (or "interpretation") is that the interference pattern is a result of a wave passing through both slits and interfering with itself. If that's the case, then there would be no concept of "which slit", since it would always be "both slits". But I would expect no interference because the wave would still not be able to interfere with itself due to the barrier.

What I'm curious about is whether such experiments have actually been performed.

1. Having it go through a single slit does not turn it into a "particle".

2. A barrier cutting the apparatus into 2 chambers will eliminate the signature interference effects, as you say. This is the kind of experiment that is usually done in physics labs, not sure I can put a finger on a specific reference. All kinds of objects have been run through double slit setups, not just light. With proper slit size and other parameters, they all show interference. This demonstrates that even matter has both wave and particle properties.

1. What is the Double Slit experiment and why is it important in science?

The Double Slit experiment is a classic experiment in physics that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of light. It involves shining a light source through two parallel slits onto a screen and observing the resulting interference pattern. This experiment is important because it helped to reveal the dual nature of light and laid the foundation for quantum mechanics.

2. How does the Double Slit experiment relate to variations on the experiment?

Variations on the Double Slit experiment involve changing certain parameters, such as using different types of particles or altering the setup of the experiment. These variations allow scientists to explore different aspects of wave-particle duality and further understand the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

3. Can the Double Slit experiment be used to study other particles besides light?

Yes, the Double Slit experiment has been conducted with various types of particles, including electrons, neutrons, and even large molecules like buckyballs. The results of these experiments have further confirmed the wave-particle duality of matter.

4. What are some real-world applications of the Double Slit experiment and its variations?

The Double Slit experiment and its variations have been used in the development of technologies such as electron microscopes, which use the wave nature of electrons to produce high-resolution images. They have also been used in the field of quantum computing, where the behavior of particles at the quantum level is crucial.

5. Are there any limitations to the Double Slit experiment and its variations?

One limitation of the Double Slit experiment is that it can only provide statistical data and cannot predict the exact behavior of individual particles. Additionally, the results of the experiment can be influenced by external factors such as environmental noise. Variations on the experiment may also have their own limitations depending on the specific parameters being studied.