1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions Chiral centers,Markonikov's rule

1. Apr 29, 2008 #1
    I put all of my questions/solutions in the attached file...could someone please check over them before 7:00 am to see if I have them correct? Thanks in advance!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2008 #2
    Question 1:
    part c) H2S is a product, not a reactant.
    part d) You're missing a chiral center. The 4-position Carbon is chiral for the elimination products. It's not quite symmetrical.

bonus looks correct!!

4. Apr 30, 2008 #3

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Bonus is wrong. There are 2 chiral centers and neither is near enough to the amine to cause racemization. The amine is not a chiral center.

3- and 4-vinylcyclohexanethiol each have 2 chiral centers.

e) is wrong since Br2 adds anti to double bonds, not randomly. You need to make models to see it maybe.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  5. May 1, 2008 #4

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I hate it when I rush through these questions!!!! I'm wrong, of course. You were correct in your answer that there is only one chiral center. That said, the amine is certainly not a chiral center and is not reactive with the chiral alcohol.

Arrrrgggghhhh! I did it again here! There are 2 chiral centers on the 3-vinyl compounds and only 1 for the 4-vinyl compounds.

Got that one right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?