Questions Chiral centers,Markonikov's rule

I put all of my questions/solutions in the attached file...could someone please check over them before 7:00 am to see if I have them correct? Thanks in advance!!!

Attachments

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

Question 1:
part c) H2S is a product, not a reactant.
part d) You're missing a chiral center. The 4-position Carbon is chiral for the elimination products. It's not quite symmetrical.

bonus looks correct!!

chemisttree
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Bonus is wrong. There are 2 chiral centers and neither is near enough to the amine to cause racemization. The amine is not a chiral center.

3- and 4-vinylcyclohexanethiol each have 2 chiral centers.

e) is wrong since Br2 adds anti to double bonds, not randomly. You need to make models to see it maybe.

Last edited:
chemisttree
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Bonus is wrong. There are 2 chiral centers and neither is near enough to the amine to cause racemization. The amine is not a chiral center.
I hate it when I rush through these questions!!!! I'm wrong, of course. You were correct in your answer that there is only one chiral center. That said, the amine is certainly not a chiral center and is not reactive with the chiral alcohol.

3- and 4-vinylcyclohexanethiol each have 2 chiral centers.
Arrrrgggghhhh! I did it again here! There are 2 chiral centers on the 3-vinyl compounds and only 1 for the 4-vinyl compounds.

e) is wrong since Br2 adds anti to double bonds, not randomly. You need to make models to see it maybe.
Got that one right.