1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Choose from Unknown - A Chiral Compound

1. Nov 16, 2012 #1

AGNuke

Gold Member

A C8H12 chiral hydrocarbon, X, is reduced by catalytic Hydrogenation to an achiral C8H14. Ozonolysis (Oxidative) of X gave a chiral C8H12O4 dicarboxylic acid. Choose X from the given.

C8H12.png

Attempt
    I first determined the chirality of the given alternatives. That rules out the 2nd option, as it is clearly symmetric. Then I just removed the double bonds, as asked in the question to see if any achiral hydrocarbon is formed. First one, I think is achiral. But I am not sure about the 3rd and 4th.

How about my attempt and is it something that I am overlooking?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2012 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I think you are on the right track, but I have been wrong about chiral compounds so many times in the past I no longer trust myself.

4. Nov 16, 2012 #3

AGNuke

Gold Member

Yeah me too. It was in the test paper earlier, but I had to leave this simple looking question. What a shame.

I couldn't formulate it back then, that 1st one would be achiral after catalytic hydrogenation.

5. Nov 16, 2012 #4

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The 3rd and 4th remain chiral after hydrogenation but I'm sure you already knew that.

6. Nov 17, 2012 #5

AGNuke

Gold Member

I was unable to think about them in exam.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook