Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Choose from Unknown - A Chiral Compound

1. Nov 16, 2012 #1

AGNuke

Gold Member

A C8H12 chiral hydrocarbon, X, is reduced by catalytic Hydrogenation to an achiral C8H14. Ozonolysis (Oxidative) of X gave a chiral C8H12O4 dicarboxylic acid. Choose X from the given.

C8H12.png

Attempt
    I first determined the chirality of the given alternatives. That rules out the 2nd option, as it is clearly symmetric. Then I just removed the double bonds, as asked in the question to see if any achiral hydrocarbon is formed. First one, I think is achiral. But I am not sure about the 3rd and 4th.

How about my attempt and is it something that I am overlooking?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2012 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I think you are on the right track, but I have been wrong about chiral compounds so many times in the past I no longer trust myself.

4. Nov 16, 2012 #3

AGNuke

Gold Member

Yeah me too. It was in the test paper earlier, but I had to leave this simple looking question. What a shame.

I couldn't formulate it back then, that 1st one would be achiral after catalytic hydrogenation.

5. Nov 16, 2012 #4

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The 3rd and 4th remain chiral after hydrogenation but I'm sure you already knew that.

6. Nov 17, 2012 #5

AGNuke

Gold Member

I was unable to think about them in exam.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook