Questions for interview for MS Physics

In summary, the conversation discusses the preparation for an interview on Classical, Quantum, and Statistical Mechanics, as well as Mathematical Methods for Physics. The individual is seeking guidance on the types of questions to prepare for the interview and any recommended resources. The conversation also includes a recommendation for the book "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" and a discussion on potential questions that may be asked during the interview.
tayyaba786
Please I need Help!

Hello everyone,
I am going to appear in interview for MS Physics. They asked to prepare Classical, Quantum and statistical mechanics and Mathematical methods for Physics. Please guide me what kind of questions should I prepare for interview and secondly please suggest me any site or book to prepare these sections.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're just doing a review, I recommend going through Boas' "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences". It's a great reference.

Thank you for your advice lisab. I will go through it

tayyaba786 said:
Hello everyone,
I am going to appear in interview for MS Physics. They asked to prepare Classical, Quantum and statistical mechanics and Mathematical methods for Physics. Please guide me what kind of questions should I prepare for interview and secondly please suggest me any site or book to prepare these sections.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure how an "interview" on these subjects would go, will they quiz you on pen and paper or informally on a blackboard? I sure hope so or it would be extremely awkward.

Perhaps read a few chapters from Landau's mechanics (or the whole thing, it's pretty short) and review some practice problems from your past courses... If it's not actual problem solving you're being tested on, I don't know what they'd ask you. I can come up with some questions of my own:

What is wrong with deriving the power output of a black body using classical thermodynamic arguments? (ie: what's wrong with the Rayleigh-Jeans law and how the problem is solved). Similar for the specific heat of solids at low temperatures, non-linear dependence that comes from QM arguments.

What is the advantage of Lagrangian mechanics over Newtonian methods? Maybe solve the double or triple pendulum, or a point mass in a rotating cone/tube or something.

What's the difference between the classical and quantum HO and how do you recover the classical regime from the latter?

Work out the ideal gas law from first principles? Or Planck's law.

Describe the Stern-Gerlach experiment and what are its consequences?

Last edited:

Hello and congratulations on your interview for MS Physics! I would recommend preparing for a wide range of questions that may cover topics in classical, quantum, and statistical mechanics, as well as mathematical methods for physics. Here are some suggestions for specific areas to focus on:

1. Classical Mechanics: Be prepared to discuss topics such as Newton's laws of motion, conservation of energy and momentum, and simple harmonic motion. You may also be asked to solve problems involving forces, motion, and energy.

2. Quantum Mechanics: This is a crucial topic in modern physics, so it's important to have a solid understanding of the fundamentals. Be ready to discuss concepts such as wave-particle duality, uncertainty principle, and quantum states. You may also be asked to solve problems involving quantum systems and operators.

3. Statistical Mechanics: This branch of physics deals with the behavior of large ensembles of particles and is important in understanding thermodynamics and phase transitions. Be prepared to discuss concepts such as entropy, Boltzmann distribution, and thermodynamic potentials.

4. Mathematical Methods for Physics: This section may cover a variety of topics, including calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, and complex analysis. Make sure you are comfortable with these mathematical tools and can apply them to physics problems.

As for resources, I would recommend reviewing your textbooks and class notes, as well as practicing solving problems from previous exams or sample questions. You can also find helpful resources online, such as lecture notes and video tutorials, to supplement your studying.

Remember to also brush up on your critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as these are essential for success in physics. Good luck on your interview!

1. What qualities do you possess that make you a good candidate for our MS Physics program?

As a scientist, I possess a strong curiosity and passion for understanding the natural world. I also have excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a strong background in mathematics and physics. Additionally, I am dedicated, hard-working, and have a strong desire to contribute to the field of physics through research and experimentation.

2. How have your previous research experiences prepared you for an MS Physics program?

During my undergraduate studies, I had the opportunity to work on several research projects in the field of physics. These experiences allowed me to develop critical thinking skills, learn how to design and conduct experiments, and analyze and interpret data. I also gained valuable experience working in a laboratory setting and collaborating with other researchers. These skills and experiences have prepared me for the rigors of an MS Physics program.

3. What specific areas of physics are you interested in pursuing during your MS program?

I am particularly interested in the fields of quantum mechanics and astrophysics. I find the principles and theories behind quantum mechanics fascinating, and I am eager to explore its applications further. In addition, I am intrigued by the vastness and complexity of our universe and am interested in studying the properties and behavior of celestial bodies.

4. How do you plan to contribute to the physics community during and after your MS program?

During my MS program, I plan to actively participate in research projects and collaborate with other students and faculty members. I also intend to attend conferences and workshops to expand my knowledge and network with other researchers. After completing my MS, I hope to continue my education and pursue a PhD in physics. Ultimately, I aspire to contribute to the physics community through groundbreaking research and teaching future generations of physicists.

5. Can you discuss a challenging problem you encountered in your previous studies and how you solved it?

During my undergraduate studies, I was faced with a complex quantum mechanics problem that I was struggling to solve. I approached my professor for guidance, and together we worked through the problem, discussing different approaches and theories. Through this collaboration and perseverance, I was able to successfully solve the problem and gain a deeper understanding of the concepts involved. This experience taught me the importance of seeking help when needed and the value of cooperation in problem-solving.