Engineering Physicist interview with SLAC

In summary, the accelerator physicist has had an interview with the recruiter and has been given a technical interview with the hiring manager.
Raffaello
Hello. I am an accelerator physicist with a couple of years of experience. I've already had an interview session with the recruiter. Then, they sent me an email saying that I will have a technical interview with the hiring manager. I've never had physics interviews before because my research center hired me directly from the university.
Can you please suggest what kind of questions I need to expect?
Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're welcome to PF.

Likes Raffaello
Look at the job posting, line by line. If someone were to ask you a technical question about any one of those, what would you say?

Raffaello said:
Hello. I am an accelerator physicist with a couple of years of experience. I've already had an interview session with the recruiter. Then, they sent me an email saying that I will have a technical interview with the hiring manager. I've never had physics interviews before because my research center hired me directly from the university.
Can you please suggest what kind of questions I need to expect?
Thank you in advance.
I'm of limited help here (I'm more helpful with EE interview questions), but do you know all of the experiments currently being run at SLAC? Have you read all of the papers published for their experiments for the past 5 years or so? I would start there, since the questions they ask will likely either be related to those experiments, or the technical questions they ask will be about the physics and experimental methods involved in those experiments.

https://www6.slac.stanford.edu/research

Good luck, and let us know how it goes. :smile:

Likes DeBangis21
Raffaello said:
I will have a technical interview with the hiring manager
Did you have the interview yet? How did it go? :smile:

berkeman said:
Did you have the interview yet? How did it go? :smile:
Hello, They didn't even reach to me... Don't know what's the problem.
I have a different interview with Argonne now, hope this one will work for me.

P.S. sorry for the late response. I'm new to the forum format overall. Getting used to it

Likes Tom.G, DeBangis21 and berkeman

1. What type of education and experience is required for an Engineering Physicist role at SLAC?

To be considered for an Engineering Physicist position at SLAC, candidates typically have a minimum of a bachelor's degree in engineering physics, physics, or a related field. Additionally, candidates should have experience in research and development, as well as experience with specialized tools and techniques used in the field of engineering physics.

2. What specific technical skills are necessary for an Engineering Physicist at SLAC?

In addition to a strong foundation in physics and engineering, candidates should have experience with computational modeling and simulation, data analysis and visualization, and experimental design and instrumentation. Familiarity with specialized software and programming languages, such as MATLAB and Python, is also highly desirable.

3. What types of projects or research does an Engineering Physicist at SLAC typically work on?

Engineering Physicists at SLAC may work on a wide range of projects, including designing and developing new instrumentation for particle accelerators, developing new materials for use in high-energy physics experiments, and conducting research on advanced energy storage technologies. They may also collaborate with other scientists and engineers on interdisciplinary projects.

4. What sets SLAC apart as a top research institution for Engineering Physics?

SLAC is known for its cutting-edge research in high-energy physics and its world-class facilities, including the Linac Coherent Light Source (LCLS) and the Stanford Synchrotron Radiation Lightsource (SSRL). Additionally, SLAC is home to a highly collaborative and interdisciplinary research community, providing opportunities for Engineering Physicists to work with experts in a variety of fields.

5. What does the career trajectory look like for an Engineering Physicist at SLAC?

At SLAC, Engineering Physicists have the opportunity to advance in their careers through research and leadership positions. They may also have the opportunity to collaborate with other institutions and industry partners, opening up possibilities for further career advancement. SLAC also offers a variety of professional development opportunities, including workshops and seminars, to help employees continue to grow and develop in their roles.