Questions on Forces & Friction: Analyzing Plate & Block Motion

In summary, The conversation discusses questions about the free body diagram of a plate attached to a pin and the elevator question. It is determined that the pin provides the centripetal acceleration for the plate to rotate. There is also confusion about the direction of the force and the possibility of movement in the x-direction. It is clarified that the centripetal force has an x-component and is a component of the net force. The direction of the force is determined by the vector addition of gravity and the reaction force at the pin.
Pipsqueakalchemist
Homework Statement
Questions below
Relevant Equations
Newton’s 2nd law
So I have questions on two separate questions. The first question is about the fbd of the plate attached to the pin. How can there be an Ax since there’s no other force in the horizontal direction wouldn’t the plate start moving on the x-direction due to imbalanced forces.

Second question about the elevator question. I knew how to do the problem but I do have some confusion. I have my work below and for the 0.4Nb=100*1.5*alpha part, I’m confused bc since friction is the only force horizontal force acting on the block wouldn’t the block move and slip?

Attachments

• 8BB21B20-D0C1-4281-92E0-DCBF8D019B79.png
    8BB21B20-D0C1-4281-92E0-DCBF8D019B79.png
    24.8 KB · Views: 100
  • EECC47ED-2F0D-40CF-A5F2-A6C76D09C64D.png
    EECC47ED-2F0D-40CF-A5F2-A6C76D09C64D.png
    25.9 KB · Views: 102
  • 6E3FFD54-09F1-4782-8EEC-E7A7B03B2525.jpeg
    6E3FFD54-09F1-4782-8EEC-E7A7B03B2525.jpeg
    53.8 KB · Views: 101
Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Without the pin restricting movement along the x-axis, the center of mass of the block will move vertically down.
The pin provides the centripetal acceleration that deviates the mass from the more natural straight vertical trajectory.

But when you write Equation of motion in the x direction. Ax is the only force so wouldn’t that imply it’s accelerating in the x direction. I originally thought the FBD would just be W and Ay

Pipsqueakalchemist said:
But when you write Equation of motion in the x direction. Ax is the only force so wouldn’t that imply it’s accelerating in the x direction. I originally thought the FBD would just be W and Ay
The diagram shows the CoM of the plate moving in a circle in the x-y plane and not initially in the y-direction. There must, therefore, be a force on the plate (from the hinge) in the x-direction.

Likes Lnewqban
Pipsqueakalchemist said:
Second question about the elevator question. I knew how to do the problem but I do have some confusion. I have my work below and for the 0.4Nb=100*1.5*alpha part, I’m confused bc since friction is the only force horizontal force acting on the block wouldn’t the block move and slip?
I'm not sure where the confusion lies. If a block is resting on a surface and the surfaces accelerates in the horizontal direction, then the friction may accelerate the block with the surface; or, if the friction is insufficient, the block will slide backwards relative to the surface.

PeroK said:
The diagram shows the CoM of the plate moving in a circle in the x-y plane and not initially in the y-direction. There must, therefore, be a force on the plate (from the hinge) in the x-direction.
Oh so the Ax acts as the centripetal force right?

Pipsqueakalchemist said:
Oh so the Ax acts as the centripetal force right?
The centripetal force has an x-component, yes.

PeroK said:
The centripetal force has an x-component, yes.
So the pin A is the centripetal force causing the plate to rotate around A

Lnewqban said:
Without the pin restricting movement along the x-axis, the center of mass of the block will move vertically down.
The pin provides the centripetal acceleration that deviates the mass from the more natural straight vertical trajectory.
Wait how do you it would move down. Why couldn’t it move up or stay in static equilibrium?

Pipsqueakalchemist said:
So the pin A is the centripetal force causing the plate to rotate around A
The centripetal force is a component of the net force: the vector addition of gravity and the reaction force at the pin.

Pipsqueakalchemist said:
Wait how do you it would move down. Why couldn’t it move up or stay in static equilibrium?
Because the direction of the represented force (24 Kg x 9.8 m/s^2).

1. What is the definition of force?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the interaction between two objects, causing a change in their motion or shape.

2. How is force measured?

Force is measured in units of Newtons (N) using a tool called a spring scale or force meter.

3. What is friction and how does it affect motion?

Friction is the force that occurs when two surfaces rub against each other. It acts in the opposite direction of motion and can slow down or stop an object's movement.

4. How does the mass of an object affect its motion?

The mass of an object affects its motion by determining how much force is needed to accelerate it. The greater the mass, the more force is needed to change its motion.

5. How do you calculate net force?

Net force is calculated by adding all the individual forces acting on an object together. If the net force is zero, the object will remain at rest or continue moving at a constant speed.