1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick ? about gravitational torque

1. Nov 12, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A string wrapped around a cylinder(M=2.15kg, R=0.131m) on a frictionless thin bearing pulls downward with F=6.769N. Also, the string is on the right side of the cylinder. What is angular acceleration?

I know moment of Inertia=1/2*M*R2 for cylinder = 0.01845kg*m2.
    I know angular accel=Torquenet/I
    So the torque of the string pulling down will be negative because the cylinder is rotating cw and the string is vertical so sin90=1 which means Torquestring=-6.769N*0.131m=-0.8867N*m

Now for the Torquegrav=-MgXcm where cm=center of mass, will the Xcm be equal to the radius and positive because it is to the right of the axle/bearing? Or will there not even be a Torquegrav because the axle/bearing is already on the center of mass? Or will Xcm=1 so Torquegrav=-Mg?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2008 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's right. Fgrav can be treated as acting at the center of mass ... which is located at exactly 0 m from the center of mass.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?