Quick definition question: Dihedral group

In summary, we discussed the dihedral group of an n-gon, denoted by Dn, which has 2n symmetries. We also saw that for a square, octagon, hexagon, etc., the number of symmetries is 8, 16, 12, etc. We also learned about using relations to find the multiplication table for ##D_4##, where ##R## represents a rotation and ##S## represents a reflection.
srfriggen
A dihedral group of an n-gon denoted by Dn, whose corresponding group is called the Dihedral group of order 2n?

What I gather from that is a square has 8 symmetries, an octagon has 16, a hexagon 12, etc?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yep, you got it.

When I do reflection in square do I need to put numbers and that do reflection for particular site of square. Is there some easiest way to find multiplication table of ##D_4##?

LagrangeEuler said:
When I do reflection in square do I need to put numbers and that do reflection for particular site of square. Is there some easiest way to find multiplication table of ##D_4##?

Let ##R## be a rotation and ##S## a reflection. Use the relations ##S^2 = 1##, ##R^4 = 1## and ##SR = R^3S##. Using this you can find the multiplication table easily.

Yes, that is correct. The dihedral group of an n-gon is a group of symmetries that preserves the shape and orientation of the n-gon. This group has 2n elements, which correspond to the 2n possible rotations and reflections of the n-gon. Each element in the group represents a unique symmetry of the n-gon, and the group as a whole represents all possible symmetries of the n-gon. This concept is important in geometry, crystallography, and other areas of mathematics and science.

1. What is a dihedral group?

A dihedral group, denoted by Dn, is a group consisting of all the symmetries of a regular n-sided polygon. It includes both rotational and reflectional symmetries, making it a non-abelian group.

2. How many elements are in a dihedral group?

A dihedral group of order n, Dn, has 2n elements.

3. What is the structure of a dihedral group?

A dihedral group is a non-abelian group, meaning the order in which you perform operations matters. It also has both cyclic and non-cyclic subgroups.

4. What are some common examples of dihedral groups?

The most well-known example of a dihedral group is D3, which is the symmetry group of an equilateral triangle. Other common examples include D4 for a square and D5 for a regular pentagon.

5. What are the applications of dihedral groups?

Dihedral groups have various applications in mathematics, physics, and chemistry. In mathematics, they are used in group theory and geometry. In physics, they are used to describe the symmetries of molecules. In chemistry, they are used to classify and predict the properties of molecules.