Tensor symmetries and the symmetric groups

In summary, the author discusses the use of representation theory of the symmetric group to describe tensor symmetries. They introduce the notation [n1,...,nr] to denote irreducible symmetries and explain that the equation m^(λ1...λnμ) = m^((λ1...λn)μ) corresponds to the reducible symmetry [n]⊗[1]=[n,1]⊕[n+1]. They also mention that this has something to do with the Young symmetrizer construction and the action of the symmetric group on the tensor power of a vector space. The author states that further understanding of this passage requires knowledge of Young tableaux and representation theory of the symmetric group
leo.
In one General Relativity paper, the author states the following (we can assume tensor in question are tensors in a vector space ##V##, i.e., they are elements of some tensor power of ##V##)

To discuss general properties of tensor symmetries, we shall use the representation theory of the symmetric group as expressed, for example, in Weyl (1946). We write ##[n_1,\dots, n_r]##, where ##n_1\geq n_2\geq \dots \geq n_r##, to denote the irreducible symmetry described by the Young diagram of the partition ##(n_1,n_2,\dots, n_r)##. Then if ##n\geq 1##, the equation $$m^{\lambda_1\dots \lambda_n \mu}=m^{(\lambda_1\dots\lambda_n)\mu}$$ corresponds to the reducible symmetry $$[n]\otimes [1]=[n,1]\oplus [n+1]$$ where the parts with symmetries ##[n,1]## and ##[n+1]## may be taken as $$m^{\lambda_1\dots \lambda_{n-1}[\lambda_n\mu]}\quad \text{and}\quad m^{(\lambda_1\dots \lambda_n \mu)}$$ respectively.

Now, I can't understand what he means by that. I believe it is something about the symmetric group acting on the tensor power of a vector space by permutting the factors in some way.

Why the first equation corresponds to that reducible symmetry? By the way, what he means by the word "corresponds" in this context? And what he means that the parts with symmetries ##[n,1]## and ##[n+1]## can be taken as ##m^{\lambda_1\dots\lambda_{n-1}[\lambda_n\mu]}## and ##m^{(\lambda_1\dots \lambda_n\mu)}##?

I believe this has something to do with the Young symmetrizer construction. I mean, I believe that we must let ##S_{n+1}## act on ##V^{\otimes (n+1)}## by permuting the factors, and then use this action to say how the group algebra acts on ##V^{\otimes (n+1)}## and look to the action of the symmetrizer. I'm unsure, though, since I haven't studied in depth the representation theory of the symmetric group.

What actually is the point here? How can I understand, from a representation theory point of view what is going on in this passage of the paper?

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer lies in the definition of a Young tableaux. I don't know enough about them, but
https://www.physik.uni-bielefeld.de/~borghini/Teaching/Symmetries/12_01b.pdf
should be helpful.

Last edited:
Likes leo.

1. What are tensor symmetries and why are they important?

Tensor symmetries refer to the properties of a tensor, which is a mathematical object that represents the relationship between different quantities. These symmetries determine how a tensor behaves under certain transformations, and are important because they allow us to simplify and solve complex problems in physics and engineering.

2. How do you represent tensor symmetries?

Tensor symmetries are typically represented using index notation, where repeated indices indicate a sum over all possible values. This notation makes it easier to visualize and manipulate tensors with specific symmetries.

3. What is the significance of the symmetric group in relation to tensor symmetries?

The symmetric group, also known as the permutation group, represents the set of all possible permutations of a given set. In the context of tensor symmetries, this group is important because it allows us to define and classify different types of symmetries that a tensor can possess.

4. How do tensor symmetries affect the properties of a physical system?

Tensor symmetries can have a significant impact on the properties of a physical system. For example, in solid state physics, symmetries can determine the electronic band structure of a material and its corresponding physical properties. In fluid dynamics, symmetries can affect the behavior of turbulent flow and energy dissipation.

5. How do you determine the symmetries of a given tensor?

The symmetries of a tensor can be determined by looking at its components and identifying patterns or relationships between them. Symmetry operations, such as rotation or reflection, can also be applied to the tensor to see how it transforms under these operations. Additionally, the properties of the system that the tensor describes can also give clues about its symmetries.