Divergence of gravitational field in Gauss's law

  • Thread starter Thread starter bmb2009
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Gravitation Law
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
bmb2009
Messages
89
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



The picture attached shows the answer to a sample problem... I don't understand the last step... how does ∇g = C (1/r^2)∂/∂r(r^4) ? where did the r^4 come from and what does the triple dot triangle: "∴" mean? I understand every step except for the last one... thanks

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution

 
Attachments
  • Practice Exam.jpg
    Practice Exam.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 508
Physics news on Phys.org
bmb2009 said:

Homework Statement



The picture attached shows the answer to a sample problem... I don't understand the last step... how does ∇g = C (1/r^2)∂/∂r(r^4) ? where did the r^4 come from and what does the triple dot triangle: "∴" mean? I understand every step except for the last one... thanks

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


To answer your first question:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divergence#Spherical_coordinates


To answer your second question, this symbol: ##\therefore## means, "therefore."