1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivation eqn motion particle rotating frame

1. Jul 17, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

So this isn't a homework problem but I don't know where else I am supposed to post for general help. I am basically trying to understand the derivation for the equation of motion of a particle in a rotating frame. See attachment for derivation and which steps I am stuck on.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    From where the yellow dots are marked is where I get confused, since [itex]v_I=v_R+w\times r[/itex]
    why does: [tex]\dot{v}_I|_{I} = \dot{v}_R|_{I} + w\times v_I[/tex] Theres 2 reasons this step is confusing me, if I am taking a time derivative of [itex]v_I=v_R+w\times r[/itex] shouldn't I be using the product rule on the 2nd term in the RHS [itex]\dot{v}_I|_{I} = \dot{v}_R|_{I} + \frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} t}[w\times r]|_{I}[/itex] ?

Secondly if thats just wrong the derivation does say to use (1.2.5) but then the 1st term on the RHS should be [itex]\dot{v}_I|_{R}[/itex] instead of [itex]\dot{v}_R|_{I}[/itex] no? But if that is the case then I don't see how to get to the step after that either... Really could use some help, thanks in advance.
    [EDIT: I should specify that the I and R means inertial and rotational respectively]

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2014 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello, CMBR. Welcome to PF!

Yes, you would use the product rule. It must be that the text is assuming that the ##\omega## vector is time independent.

You can derive the result this way, also. That is, you can use (1.2.5) at the beginning to write [tex]\dot{v}_I|_{I} = \dot{v}_I|_{R} + \omega\times v_I[/tex] Then use (1.3.1) for the ##v_{I}##'s on the right side.

The text approach is to first use (1.3.1) and then use the fact that the derivative of a sum is equal to the sum of the derivatives: [tex]\dot{v}_I|_{I} = \left. \frac{d}{dt}(v_R + \omega\times r) \right|_{I} = \dot{v}_R|_{I} + \omega\times v_I[/tex]
    Either approach will yield the same result.

Note $$\dot{v}_R|_{I} \equiv \left. \frac{d v_R}{dt} \right |_I$$ $$\dot{v}_I|_{R} \equiv \left. \frac{d v_I}{dt} \right |_R$$

etc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted