1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick Hello Then Question About Energy

1. Apr 17, 2006 #1
    Hey,

Im A Highschool Student; Nerd In Development; lol anyways iv'e come across this question in my Text Book and im not sure how to figgure it out; Can Someone PLEASE for the love of god tell me how the hell to do it

Ok Heres The Status They Give You:

Mass - 2kG
    Angle - 60
    Force - 100N
    Friction Force- 10N

How long will it take to push this bucket over A Distance Of 5 Meaters?

Back Of Book Answer= 0.71s

Thanks
    ~Matty-Alan~

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2006 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

One should show one's work first.

Well, one needs to know the initial velocity, which may = 0 here.

If there is a net acceleration, then the block is accelerating.

The net acceleration is simply the net force divided by mass.

Now, if one pushes the block, then friction opposes the pushing, i.e. the friction force is in the opposite direction of the pushing force.

As for the pushing force, one must determine the component parallel with the displacement of 5 meters (presumably horizontal, but that is not given in the problem statement). Furthermore, with respect to the angle of 60°, it is not stated whether that is with respect of vertical or horizontal. And does the friction force of 10N apply simply to the mass of the block, or to the block plus whatever downward force one applies to the block.

Then think of the equation which describes displacement as a function of time for constant acceleration. Hint, it is a quadratic relationship.

This might help - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/mot.html#mot1

Last edited: Apr 17, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?