Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick (probably easy) Latex Question

1. Nov 2, 2012 #1
    Hi,

I'm trying to write some equations in LaTeX. They are inside an align environment. My code is the following:

\begin{align*}
    \omega_\mu{}^{ab}(e) &= \frac{1}{2} \eta^{ac} \eta^{bd} e^\nu_c e^\rho_d ( \Omega_{[\mu \nu] \rho} - \Omega_{[\nu \rho] \mu} + \Omega_{[\rho \mu] \nu})
    \\ &= \frac{1}{2} e^{\nu a} e^{\rho b} ( \Omega_{[\mu \nu] \rho} - \Omega_{[\nu \rho] \mu} + \Omega_{[\rho \mu] \nu})
    \intertext{now we use the result $\Omega_{[\mu \nu] \rho} = 2 \partial_{ \left[ \mu } e_{ \nu \right] }{}^a e_{a \rho}$ from eqn $(7.89)$}
    \\ &=e^{\nu a} e^{\rho b} \left( \partial_{[\mu} e_{\nu]}{}^c e_{c \rho} - \partial_{[\nu} e_{\rho]}{}^c e_{c \mu} + \partial_{[\rho} e_{\mu]}{}^c e_{c \nu} \right)
    \end{align*}

The problem is the last couple of lines where i split square brackets over two different subscripts. LaTeX doesn't like this and complains - a LOT!

So I guess my question boils down to how to write the LaTeX code for something like this:

q_{ [a } p_{ b] }

without getting lots of errors!

Thanks very much!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Like this?
    $$q_{[a} p_{b]}$$

4. Nov 2, 2012 #3
    Yes. Do I need a particular package to get that to work or something?

If you look at the chunk of code I posted above, I have used exactly what you've written but it gives me errors about not having properly closed the parenthesis

5. Nov 2, 2012 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Looking through your code I get:$$\begin{align}\omega_\mu{}^{ab}(e) &= \frac{1}{2} \eta^{ac} \eta^{bd} e^\nu_c e^\rho_d ( \Omega_{[\mu \nu] \rho} - \Omega_{[\nu \rho] \mu} + \Omega_{[\rho \mu] \nu})
    \\ &= \frac{1}{2} e^{\nu a} e^{\rho b} ( \Omega_{[\mu \nu] \rho} - \Omega_{[\nu \rho] \mu} + \Omega_{[\rho \mu] \nu})
    \\ &\ldots \text{ now we use the result $\Omega_{[\mu \nu] \rho} = 2 \partial_{[ \mu } e_{ \nu] }{}^a e_{a \rho}$ from eqn $(7.89)$}

\\ &=e^{\nu a} e^{\rho b} \left( \partial_{[\mu} e_{\nu]}{}^c e_{c \rho} - \partial_{[\nu} e_{\rho]}{}^c e_{c \mu} + \partial_{[\rho} e_{\mu]}{}^c e_{c \nu} \right)\end{align}$$
    ... I think I see what you want to do: you want the square brackets in the partial (in the intertext) to resize so they are bigger than the e in the second part... the trouble was when you used the \left [ ... \right ] inside separate curly brackets latex did not see where the other side to each was. i.e. {\left [}{\right ]} is not allowed and that's the only reason I can think of for wanting to use \left \right in that context.

##2\partial \left [_\nu e_\rho \right ]## ... better?
    Though it does kinda make it look like the nu belongs to the e.

[edit]
    I'm afraid you didn't. Take a closer look ;)

[note: that equ. reference should really be a link too - jic ;) ]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook