Linearising Christoffel symbols

chartery
Carroll linearising by perturbation ##g_{\mu\nu}=\eta_{\mu\nu}+h_{\mu\nu}## has: (Notes 6.4, Book 7.4)

##\Gamma^{\rho}_{\mu\nu}=\frac{1}{2}g^{\rho\lambda}\left( {\partial_{ \mu}}g_{\nu\lambda}+{\partial_{ \nu}}g_{\lambda\mu}-{\partial_{ \lambda}}g_{\mu\nu}\right)=\frac{1}{2}\eta^{\rho\lambda}\left( {\partial_{ \mu}}h_{\nu\lambda}+{\partial_{ \nu}}h_{\lambda\mu}-{\partial_{ \lambda}}h_{\mu\nu}\right)##

This must mean that ##{\partial_{ \mu}}h_{\nu\lambda}## is taken to be of same order as ##h^{\rho\lambda}##
I can't find a justification anywhere, so I guess everyone thinks it self-evident.
Is it certain that a weak gravitational field cannot vary quickly or 'strongly' ?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is essentially the matrix equivalent of
$$
\frac{1}{1+x} \simeq 1 - x
$$
for small ##x##

Orodruin said:
It is essentially the matrix equivalent of
$$
\frac{1}{1+x} \simeq 1 - x
$$
for small ##x##
Sorry, you've lost me. Were you referring to ##g^{\mu\nu}=\eta^{\mu\nu}-h^{\mu\nu}##?

My problem was how to know that the partial derivative (i.e. variation) of a small item was necessarily also small.
if ##\frac{1}{1+x}## is how I should think of ##\partial_{\mu}## here, I'm afraid I need extra guidance.

It becomes more clear if you write
$$g_{\mu \nu}=\eta_{\mu \nu} + \epsilon h_{\mu \nu} \qquad (1)$$
with ##\epsilon=const.## and taking all quantities of interest only up to linear order in ##\epsilon##.

For the inverse metric you have
$$g^{\mu \nu}= \eta^{\mu \nu} -\epsilon h^{\mu \nu}+\mathcal{O}(\epsilon^2)$$
with
$$h^{\mu \nu}=\eta^{\mu \rho} \eta^{\nu \sigma} h_{\rho \sigma}, \qquad (2)$$
because then
$$(\eta^{\mu \nu} - \epsilon h^{\mu \nu}+\mathcal{O}(\epsilon^2))(\eta_{\nu \sigma} + \epsilon h_{\nu \sigma}= \delta_{\sigma}^{\mu} - \epsilon {h^{\mu}}_{\sigma}) + \epsilon {h^{\mu}}_{\sigma}+\mathcal{O}(\epsilon^2) = \delta_{\sigma}^{\mu} + \mathcal{O}(\epsilon^2).$$
For the Christoffels you plug (1) and (2) in the definition equation and immediately see that they are of order ##\epsilon## and given at this order by the equation in the OP.

Likes dextercioby and chartery
I may have read your OP a bit quick. There are a couple of things to consider here.

The foremost one is that the derivatives of eta vanish and the derivatives you have left are multiplied by essentially eta+O(h). Regardless of the derivatives of h are in terms of size, multiplying them by h is going to give you something of higher order than multiplying by eta.

Apart from that, further assumptions on slow variations etc are common.

Likes chartery
Orodruin said:
I may have read your OP a bit quick. There are a couple of things to consider here.

The foremost one is that the derivatives of eta vanish and the derivatives you have left are multiplied by essentially eta+O(h). Regardless of the derivatives of h are in terms of size, multiplying them by h is going to give you something of higher order than multiplying by eta.

Apart from that, further assumptions on slow variations etc are common.

Sorry @vanhees71 I can't get the multiple quote insert to work!Yes, my problem was being sure that ##h^{\rho\lambda}{\partial_{ \mu}}h_{\nu\lambda}## terms were order ##h^2##

It makes sense that ##\epsilon h^{\rho\lambda} {\partial_{ \mu}}\epsilon h_{\nu\lambda}## would be order ##\epsilon^2##

Many thanks

chartery said:
Sorry @vanhees71 I can't get the multiple quote insert to work!Yes, my problem was being sure that ##h^{\rho\lambda}{\partial_{ \mu}}h_{\nu\lambda}## terms were order ##h^2##

It makes sense that ##\epsilon h^{\rho\lambda} {\partial_{ \mu}}\epsilon h_{\nu\lambda}## would be order ##\epsilon^2##

Many thanks
I mean, your worry is partially justified. There is nothing a priori stopping ##\partial h## to be order ##1/\epsilon## in the above. However, it will always be the case that - regardless of the order of the derivative - the h-term in front will be one order higher than the leading one.

Likes vanhees71
Orodruin said:
I mean, your worry is partially justified. There is nothing a priori stopping ##\partial h## to be order ##1/\epsilon## in the above. However, it will always be the case that - regardless of the order of the derivative - the h-term in front will be one order higher than the leading one.
Sorry for gap. I can see Vanhees understands, though it seems to me if ##\partial h## is order ##1/\epsilon## then ##\epsilon h^{\rho\lambda} {\partial_{ \mu}}\epsilon h_{\nu\lambda}## is only order ##\epsilon## but needs to be order ##\epsilon^2## to be ignored in OP equation?

chartery said:
Sorry for gap. I can see Vanhees understands, though it seems to me if ##\partial h## is order ##1/\epsilon## then ##\epsilon h^{\rho\lambda} {\partial_{ \mu}}\epsilon h_{\nu\lambda}## is only order ##\epsilon## but needs to be order ##\epsilon^2## to be ignored in OP equation?
If that is the case then the leading term in OP's equations is ##\mathcal O(1)##, not ##\mathcal O(\epsilon)##. Therefore, to leading non-trivial order, terms ##\mathcal O(\epsilon)## should be ignored.

Likes chartery and vanhees71
Orodruin said:
If that is the case then the leading term in OP's equations is ##\mathcal O(1)##, not ##\mathcal O(\epsilon)##. Therefore, to leading non-trivial order, terms ##\mathcal O(\epsilon)## should be ignored.
Durr... Got fixated on second term of ## \eta^{\rho\lambda} {\partial_{ \mu}}\epsilon h_{\nu\lambda} - \epsilon h^{\rho\lambda} {\partial_{ \mu}}\epsilon h_{\nu\lambda}## (just in case someone of similar density looking up).
Many thanks.