Quick problem; can't find other solution

• Thread starter ayae
  • Start date
In summary, when facing a quick problem without an obvious solution, it is helpful to break the problem down into smaller parts, gather information, brainstorm solutions, and seek advice from others. It is okay to ask for help and taking breaks and using different problem-solving strategies can prevent getting stuck. Some common mistakes to avoid include jumping to conclusions and being open to feedback.
ayae
I'll make this quick guys:
a = e^-t t^x
This equation should have 2 solutions real between 0 and e^-x x^x
I've found one solution to the equation:
t = -x ProductLog[-(a^((1/x))/x)]
But I can't find the other :(. Please can you give me a hand finding the other solution.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The "Product Log", or Lambert-W function, is multivalued, so you have to choose a branch. For real valued arguments there are two branches; I would suppose this is your what your second solution is.

1. How do I approach a quick problem when I can't find another solution?

One approach is to break the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts. This can help you identify the root cause of the problem and come up with potential solutions.

2. What steps should I take when facing a quick problem with no obvious solution?

First, try to gather as much information as you can about the problem. Then, brainstorm potential solutions and evaluate each one. You may also want to seek advice or assistance from colleagues or experts in the field.

3. Is it okay to ask for help when dealing with a quick problem without a solution?

Yes, it is absolutely okay to ask for help. Collaborating with others can often lead to more creative and effective solutions. Don't be afraid to reach out to your peers, mentors, or online communities for support.

4. How can I prevent getting stuck on a quick problem without finding a solution?

One way to prevent getting stuck is to take breaks and come back to the problem with a fresh perspective. It can also be helpful to employ different problem-solving strategies, such as visualization or trial-and-error, to see if any new solutions emerge.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when trying to find a solution for a quick problem?

One common mistake is to jump to conclusions or make assumptions without fully understanding the problem. It's important to gather all the facts and carefully evaluate potential solutions before taking action. Additionally, be open to feedback and willing to adapt your approach if necessary.