Quick Q: First order perturbation theory derivation

In summary: You've been a great help! In summary, the problem was that I was trying to solve for the eigenvalues of the unperturbed Hamiltonian when I should have been solving for the eigenfunctions of the perturbed Hamiltonian.
RadonX

Homework Statement

Going over and over the perturbation theory in various textbooks, I feel that I've NEARLY cracked it. However, in following a particular derivation I fail to understand a particular step. Could anyone enlighten me on the following?

Multiply |[tex]\psi^{1)_{n}[/tex]> by[tex]\sum_{m}|\phi_{m}><\phi_{m}|[/tex] to solve for [tex]|\psi^{(1)}_{n}>[/tex] the 1st order correction to the wavefunction:

Homework Equations

NA

The Attempt at a Solution

Easy peasy... I start off with;

[tex]\sum_{m}|\phi_{m}><\phi_{m}|\psi^{(1)}_{n}> = |\psi^{(1)}_{n}>[/tex]
[tex]\sum_{m}<\phi_{m}|\psi^{(1)}_{n}>|\phi_{m}> = |\psi^{(1)}_{n}>[/tex]

Wait, then the solution suggests 'Multiply 1st order correction by [tex]<\phi_{m}|[/tex] :
So I do;

[tex]<\phi_{m}|H_{0}|\psi^{(1)}_{n}> + <\phi_{m}|W|\phi_{n}> = <\phi_{m}|E^{(0)}_{n}|\psi^{(1)}_{n}> + <\phi_{m}|E^{(1)}_{n}|\phi_{n}>[/tex]

Which, if I've done that first step correctly, should be manipulated easily to their answer:

[tex]<\phi_{m}|\psi^{(1)}_{n}> = \frac{<\phi_{m}|W|\phi_{n}>}{E^{(0)}_{n} - E^{(0)}_{m}}[/tex]

But how? There's something about when m = n, terms cancel out. But I feel this is the important bit I'm not grasping.

I should perhaps also point out that obviously H_0 is the unperturbed hamiltonian while W is the perturbation hamiltonian but I'm sure that if you're in a position to answer this you'd already have figured that one out! :D

Physics news on Phys.org
What does [itex]|\phi_n\rangle[/itex] represent? Are those the eigenfunctions of the unperturbed Hamiltonian?

diazona said:
What does [itex]|\phi_n\rangle[/itex] represent? Are those the eigenfunctions of the unperturbed Hamiltonian?

Yep, I think so.
I think they could be expressed [tex]|\psi_n^{(0)}>[/tex]
(That's if I'm understanding the perturbation theory correctly? That'd be the zeroth order approximation of the perturbed Hamiltonian, ie. UNperturbed yes?

OK, that makes sense. I wasn't sure if you were using that letter to mean something else.

Anyway, you got
[tex]\langle\phi_m|H_0|\psi^{(1)}_n\rangle + \langle\phi_m|W|\phi_n\rangle = \langle\phi_m|E^{(0)}_n|\psi^{(1)}_n\rangle + \langle\phi_m|E^{(1)}_n|\phi_n\rangle[/tex]
by acting on the first-order terms in the perturbation expansion with [itex]\langle\phi_m|[/itex]. Go through each of the four terms in that expression and simplify them by pulling constant factors out to the front. You should also be able to evaluate [itex]\langle\phi_m|H_0[/itex]. Then rearrange to solve for [itex]\langle\phi_m|\psi^{(1)}_n\rangle[/itex], under the assumption [itex]E_m \neq E_n[/itex] (which implies [itex]m\neq n[/itex]).

For the case [itex]m = n[/itex], youl need to use a different argument to show that [itex]\langle\phi_n|\psi^{(1)}_n\rangle = 0[/itex] (at least to first order).

Thank you very much!
After your response I made a little headway on it late last night but in my tiredness began to worry myself over a problem that didn't exist!
For the first term, although I saw where operating [tex]H_0[/tex] on [tex]\langle\phi_m|[/tex] would give me my [tex]E_m^{(0)}[/tex] term, I mistakenly kept trying to write that if it operated on the [tex]|\psi_n^(1)\rangle[/tex] I would get an eigenvalue of [tex]E_n^{(0)}[/tex]. Which would of course cancel with my right hand side term... causing all sorts of trouble.
Fortunately, with a bit of sleep and breakfast, I spotted that one!

So now I have;
[tex]E_m^{(0)}\langle\phi_m|\psi_n^{(1)}\rangle + \langle\phi_m|W|\phi_n\rangle = E_n^{(0)}\langle\phi_m|\psi_n^{(1)} + 0[/tex] <(as the last term is the inner product of orthogonal terms)
All of which is easily manipulated now to get my answer!

Thank you diazona!

1. What is first order perturbation theory?

First order perturbation theory is a mathematical method used to approximate the behavior of a system that is affected by a small perturbation, or disturbance, to its original state. It allows scientists to make predictions about the system's behavior without having to solve complex equations.

2. How is first order perturbation theory derived?

First order perturbation theory is derived by expanding the original equations of the system in a series, and then solving for the first order term. This term represents the effect of the perturbation on the system.

3. What are the assumptions made in first order perturbation theory?

The main assumption made in first order perturbation theory is that the perturbation is small enough that it does not significantly alter the behavior of the system. Additionally, it is assumed that the perturbation is independent of time and that the system is in a stable state.

4. What are the applications of first order perturbation theory?

First order perturbation theory has many applications in physics and engineering, including quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and fluid dynamics. It is also used in chemistry to study the effects of small changes in molecular systems.

5. Are there any limitations to first order perturbation theory?

Yes, there are limitations to first order perturbation theory. It is only accurate for small perturbations and may fail to accurately predict the behavior of a system if the perturbation is too large. Additionally, it is a linear approximation and may not be suitable for highly non-linear systems.