1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick Question about a Concentration Problem

1. Nov 20, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

upload_2017-11-20_21-41-11.png
    2. Relevant equations
    M = n/1 L

3. The attempt at a solution
    I was wondering if the answer is 6E. I'm not too sure about what the question is asking but i do know that the more moles there are, the more concetration of ions there will be. So, E seems like the answer since it has more atoms in the compounds. Is my logic correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2017 #2
    Hi,

Practically, (in P=atmospheric and T=25°C) the dissociations that you need to take into consideration (compare) are B and C. Methanol (D) does not dissociate and acetic acid (E) dissociates only partially in water. Finally, BaSO4 (A) is not soluble in water.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2017
  4. Nov 21, 2017 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

No need for Ksp here. At 1 mol/L you can safely assume both CaCl2 and NaNO3 to be fully soluble and BaSO4 to be not soluble at all. Then, it is just a matter of number of ions produced during dissociation (writing the dissociation reaction equation will help if you don't see it immediately).

CH3COOH is acetic acid (not an alcohol!). It definitely dissociates, but as it is a weak acid, only partially. Safe to assume no more than just few % will be dissociated (actually just a few tenths of a %).

5. Nov 21, 2017 #4
    Sorry, my bad, of course acetic acid is not an alcohol.

Post #2 has been edited in order to be correct.

6. Nov 21, 2017 #5
    If I were to count the ions for CaCl2 would be be 3 ions? Because Cl disocciates into 2 ions

7. Nov 21, 2017 #6

Borek

Three ions, yes. Not sure what you mean by "Cl dissociates into two ions". There ARE two moles of Cl- ions per each CaCl2 mole, there is no "Cl" (nor "Cl2" for that matter) that can dissociate.

8. Nov 21, 2017 #7
    Oh. How would the acetic acid work. i could the ions

9. Nov 21, 2017 #8

Borek

English please.

Acetic acid dissociates according to the equation

CH3COOH ↔ CH3COO- + H+

but it dissociates only partially (it is an equilibrium reaction, judging from your other questions something you have probably not yet heard about).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted