Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick question about binomial theorem

1. Nov 2, 2008 #1
    I know how to expand binomials with the aid of pascals triangle and also with the aid of the nCr function on the calculator. I'm not quite sure about this formula though
    [​IMG]
    see the part in the brackets where n is above k. What does that mean? Someone told me that represents nCk. Is that true? Are you supposed to use that nCr function when using the binomial theorem to expand binomials? I was under the impression that the formula worked out the coefficients without using that nCr function.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2008 #2

lurflurf

Homework Helper

yes the part in the brackets where n is above k is nCk
    also expressible as
    n!/[(n-k)!n!]

4. Nov 2, 2008 #3
    Thanks alot. I thought that formula was some complex way of getting the binomial coefficients without using the nCr button on the calculator. On a test I had a question that asked me to expand a degree 5 binomial using the binomial theorem and I was thinking the teacher wouldn't make us waste our time using that nCr button so many times. I used it anyway so I musta got the question right.

5. Nov 2, 2008 #4

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You have a typo? should read n!/[(n-k)!k!]

6. Nov 4, 2008 #5

lurflurf

Homework Helper

yes

yes the part in the brackets where n is above k is nCk
    also expressible as
    n!/[(n-k)!k!]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?