Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Newton's Generalized Binomial Theorem

1. Sep 29, 2017 #1

JBD

I'm trying to expand the following using Newton's Generalized Binomial Theorem.
    $$[f_1(x)+f_2(x)]^\delta = (f_1(x))^\delta + \delta (f_1(x))^{\delta-1}f_2(x) + \frac{\delta(\delta-1)}{2!}(f_1(x))^{\delta-2}(f_2(x))^2 + ...$$
    where $$0<\delta<<1$$

But the condition for this formula is that $$\lvert f_1(x)\rvert > \lvert f_2(x)\rvert$$

And that's where my problem is. Since both functions are sinusoidal, there are times when indeed $$\lvert f_1(x)\rvert > \lvert f_2(x)\rvert$$ but there are also values of x such that $$\lvert f_2(x)\rvert > \lvert f_1(x)\rvert$$. Take for example the graphs of cos^2 x and sin^2x.

In other words, since the condition is violated, the expansion is not true for all x.

I'm thinking of separating the two instances. At x's where $$\lvert f_1(x)\rvert > \lvert f_2(x)\rvert$$ then I can use the above expansion. If $$\lvert f_2(x)\rvert > \lvert f_1(x)\rvert$$, then:

$$[f_2(x)+f_1(x)]^\delta = (f_2(x))^\delta + \delta (f_2(x))^{\delta-1}f_1(x) + \frac{\delta(\delta-1)}{2!}(f_2(x))^{\delta-2}(f_1(x))^2 + ...$$

But, how can I separate the two instances? Or is there another way to solve this problem?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2017 #2

mfb

2017 Award

Staff: Mentor

You need the order for convergence of the series, and I don't see a way to avoid using two cases.

4. Sep 29, 2017 #3

JBD

How do you find the order of convergence? Do you mean use convergence tests? Most of the time f1 > f2 so I think the series converges. Does this mean that I'm allowed to use my first expansion? Thanks.

5. Sep 29, 2017 #4

mfb

2017 Award

Staff: Mentor

It is a power series in ##\frac{f_2}{f_1}##, this fraction has to be smaller than 1 to make the power series converge. There is nothing to test.
    If it is larger than 1, you can swap the two values as you did in post 1 and then use the formula with swapped values.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted