1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Newton's Generalized Binomial Theorem

1. Sep 29, 2017 #1

JBD

I'm trying to expand the following using Newton's Generalized Binomial Theorem.
    $$[f_1(x)+f_2(x)]^\delta = (f_1(x))^\delta + \delta (f_1(x))^{\delta-1}f_2(x) + \frac{\delta(\delta-1)}{2!}(f_1(x))^{\delta-2}(f_2(x))^2 + ...$$
    where $$0<\delta<<1$$

But the condition for this formula is that $$\lvert f_1(x)\rvert > \lvert f_2(x)\rvert$$

And that's where my problem is. Since both functions are sinusoidal, there are times when indeed $$\lvert f_1(x)\rvert > \lvert f_2(x)\rvert$$ but there are also values of x such that $$\lvert f_2(x)\rvert > \lvert f_1(x)\rvert$$. Take for example the graphs of cos^2 x and sin^2x.

In other words, since the condition is violated, the expansion is not true for all x.

I'm thinking of separating the two instances. At x's where $$\lvert f_1(x)\rvert > \lvert f_2(x)\rvert$$ then I can use the above expansion. If $$\lvert f_2(x)\rvert > \lvert f_1(x)\rvert$$, then:

$$[f_2(x)+f_1(x)]^\delta = (f_2(x))^\delta + \delta (f_2(x))^{\delta-1}f_1(x) + \frac{\delta(\delta-1)}{2!}(f_2(x))^{\delta-2}(f_1(x))^2 + ...$$

But, how can I separate the two instances? Or is there another way to solve this problem?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2017 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You need the order for convergence of the series, and I don't see a way to avoid using two cases.

4. Sep 29, 2017 #3

JBD

How do you find the order of convergence? Do you mean use convergence tests? Most of the time f1 > f2 so I think the series converges. Does this mean that I'm allowed to use my first expansion? Thanks.

5. Sep 29, 2017 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

It is a power series in ##\frac{f_2}{f_1}##, this fraction has to be smaller than 1 to make the power series converge. There is nothing to test.
    If it is larger than 1, you can swap the two values as you did in post 1 and then use the formula with swapped values.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted