Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick question about free variables

1. Jun 22, 2010 #1
    Hopefully I have this in the right place, it's not a homework question exactly, rather a question I have as I'm reading through my text. I'm learning about free variables. The book gives the example system:

x - z = 2
    y + 2z = -1
    0 = 0

as an example of a system with infinitely many solutions. I see that the way to express the solution set for this system is by describing the line that the solutions lie on. It says to make z the 'free variable' and make x and y the 'dependent' variables. Then by picking z I can find values for x and y that work. This makes sense to me. But why can't I solve for, say, x and z in terms of y? Why do I have to pick z as the free variable?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2010 #2
    The free parameter you choose is arbitrary, so just as you could say, like the book, that z is free and then

[tex]
    (x,y,z)=(2+z,-1-2z,z)
    [/tex]

you could also have said that x was your free parameter and stated the solutions as

[tex]
    (x,y,z)=(x,3-2x,-2+x)
    [/tex]

I think they must have chosen z because, in this case, it is easier to solve for x and y.

4. Jun 22, 2010 #3
    Thanks so much!

5. Jun 22, 2010 #4
    Anytime!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook