Quick question concerning conversions

• Thread starter wtf_albino
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses how to convert a speed of 60 miles per hour (Mi/H) to meters per second (M/s). One method of conversion involves breaking down each step separately, while another method involves using the ratio of 1 mile to 5280 feet and then converting to meters. The final result of 26.8 m/s is correct, but it is important to show the unit conversions in the calculation to avoid confusion.
wtf_albino
my book is rather vague on how to do unit conversions. I have 60 Mi/H and need to get it into M/s. Could i just set it up as:[(60 Mi/H)(1609m)] / 3600 s with this i come out to 26.8 m/s which sounds fairly correct.. am i making any errors?
sorry.. I'm very confused about this!:frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
The easiest way, and the way usually taught, is to do each step seperately. So, you would have: [tex]\frac{60mi}{hr} * \frac{hr}{60min} * \frac{1min}{60sec} * \frac{1609meters}{1mi} = \frac{26.8meters}{sec} [/tex]

The miles, hours, and minutes cancel out to give you meters/sec. You want to show how the units cancel out in your work, so in your calculation, you would want it to be 1609meters/mile and 1hr/3600seconds.

Last edited:
The answer is correct, but it would be less confusing if one would work out the steps.

60 mi/hr * (1609 m/mi) * (1 hr/3600 s) = 26.8 m/s. Show the ratios.

Also, one could realize that 1 mi = 5280 ft, and 60 mi/hr (60 mph) is the same as 88 ft/sec. Now 88 ft/s * (1 m/ 3.28084 ft) = 26.8 m/s, or 88 ft/s * 0.3048 m/ft = 26.8 m/s

1. How do I convert from one unit to another?

To convert from one unit to another, you need to know the conversion factor between the two units. This is typically a numerical value that represents how many of one unit is equal to another unit. Multiply the number you want to convert by the conversion factor to get the equivalent value in the desired unit.

2. What is the difference between metric and imperial units?

Metric units are based on the International System of Units (SI) and are used in most countries around the world. They are based on multiples of ten and are used for scientific and mathematical calculations. Imperial units, on the other hand, are primarily used in the United States and are based on historical units of measurement. They are often more complex and not as standardized as metric units.

3. How do I convert between metric and imperial units?

To convert between metric and imperial units, you need to know the conversion factor between the two units. You can find conversion factors online or in conversion charts. Multiply the number you want to convert by the conversion factor to get the equivalent value in the desired unit.

4. What are some common conversion factors?

Some common conversion factors include: 1 inch = 2.54 centimeters, 1 mile = 1.609 kilometers, 1 pound = 0.4536 kilograms, 1 gallon = 3.785 liters. However, there are many other conversion factors for different units of measurement, so it's important to double check before making a conversion.

5. Can I convert between units that measure different things?

No, you cannot convert between units that measure different things. For example, you cannot convert from meters to liters because meters measure length and liters measure volume. Conversions are only possible between units that measure the same thing, such as length to length or volume to volume.