Quick question i'm having touble with

• Thread starter flawlessbrown
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the tension (T) in a physics problem involving two blocks and a coefficient of friction. The question is whether T can be found before finding the acceleration (a). One person suggests rearranging the equations to eliminate a, while another mentions that the coefficient of friction only applies to the block on the right. They also mention knowing how to find T if a is found first.
flawlessbrown

Homework Statement

Bv4kd.png

Homework Equations

refer to 1.

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer is 9.1 I've done everything from adding the two equations, to plugging in values I am completely stuck. I can find the tension if i solve for acceleration first. But without knowing the acceleration how do you find tension?

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't the acceleration the same for both blocks, so by rearranging the equations to eliminate a you could find T?

Also, is the coefficient of friction intentionally only to be applied to the block on the right?

Rooted said:
Isn't the acceleration the same for both blocks, so by rearranging the equations to eliminate a you could find T?

Also, is the coefficient of friction intentionally only to be applied to the block on the right?

yes i should've mentioned that

The coefficient only applies to the right block.

Well i know how to do find T if i find a first. But i was wondering if there was a way to find T before finding a.

Last edited:
flawlessbrown said:

Well i know how to do find T if i find a first. But i was wondering if there was a way to find T before finding a.
Show us the major steps you took to do that: 'find a first'.

I understand that problem-solving can be challenging and sometimes we may get stuck. It's great that you have tried different approaches to solve the problem. My suggestion would be to review the equations and make sure you are using the correct ones for the given situation. It may also be helpful to break down the problem into smaller steps and identify any missing information that you may need to solve for. Additionally, reaching out to a classmate, teacher, or tutor for assistance can also be beneficial in understanding the problem and finding a solution. Keep up the good work and don't give up!

1. What do you mean by "Quick question i'm having trouble with"?

This phrase is commonly used when someone is seeking help or clarification on a specific topic or problem. It is usually a short and concise way of expressing that they need assistance with something.

2. How can I get help with my quick question?

There are a few ways to get help with your quick question. You can ask a colleague or friend who may have knowledge on the topic, consult online resources such as forums or Q&A websites, or seek help from a professional in the field.

3. Why is it important to ask for help with a quick question?

Asking for help with a quick question can save you time and effort in trying to figure out the answer on your own. It also allows you to learn from others who may have more expertise or experience in the topic, leading to a better understanding and potentially a better solution to your problem.

4. How can I ensure that my quick question is clearly understood?

To ensure that your quick question is clearly understood, it is important to provide as much context and detail as possible. This could include relevant background information, specific examples, and any steps you have already taken to try and solve the problem.

5. What should I do if I don't receive a helpful answer to my quick question?

If you don't receive a helpful answer to your quick question, you can try rephrasing or providing more information to clarify your question. You can also seek assistance from other sources or consider reaching out to a professional for help.