1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick question on sign convention for Work in Columbs

1. Dec 9, 2006 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

W =F*D

3. The attempt at a solution

I have it solved, now i thought - would be if i put work into the thing to move it but looking at it since both of them are postive charge they are gona wana repel each other to begin with so why is it not +
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2006 #2
  4. Dec 9, 2006 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

#14 has a variable force acting the whole time Q1 is approaching Q2. This is not a simple matter of finding one force. Fortunately, the problem has been stated in terms of energy, which is a big hint about how it should be approached. What happens to the potential energy of Q1 as it approaches Q2?

For #15 you need to think about the relationship between voltage across a capacitor and the electrical quantity that causes that voltage. What is the same for the three capacitors?
  5. Dec 9, 2006 #4
  6. Dec 10, 2006 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There is no electric field in the problem. The charge q does produce an electric field, but that field has nothng to do with the forces acting on q. You used the right hand rule correctly and found that the force on a positve charge would be upward at the position shown in the diagram. Clearly the force at that point must be downward, so the charge cannot be postive and must be negative.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?