Sign of differential length in work

In summary, the externally applied force of 8 joules has a negative work of -8 joules, bringing the particle from (2,0,0) to (0,0,0). Additionally, the force from (0,0,0) to (0,2,0) results in a positive work of +8 joules.
jonjacson

Homework Statement

[/B]
Calculate the work done by a force, against an electric field, to bring a charged particle (2 coulomb) from the point (2,0,0) to (0,0,0). Also calculate the work from (0,0,0) to (0,2,0).

Finally calculate the work done going directly from (2,0,0) to (0,2,0) and compare both results.

The field is E= (2x, -4y)

Homework Equations

dW= - q F dr

The Attempt at a Solution

The only trouble I have is with the signs.

I got 24 Joule in the last part, and -8 and 16 in the first two. I guess the -8 is wrong and it should be 8, so the sum is 24, as it should be in a conservative field.

My attempt was:

a) from (2,0,0) to (0,0,0)
[/B]
Here I think the differential of length is -dx, not dx, that is causing all the trouble.

W= - (+2) * ∫ 2x * (-dx)= 4 * ∫x dx = 4 (x2/2) and this must be evaluated from 2, lower limit, to 0 upper limit. So I get:

4 ( 0 - 4/2) = -8

According to the book, the Work is:

W=-2 ∫2x * dx ,

So he gets:

+ 8 Joules.

CLearly he is using a differential of length positive, but x goes from 2 to 0, clearly from right to left, and clearly is just the opposite of the field that is 2x, which means is positive.

So what I am doing wrong?

In the work formula there is always a minus to show the applied force is opposite to the field, so once you have introduced that minus sign at the start of the formula, you don't need to specify in which direction the differential of length goes?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to be consistent with assignments of positive directions. When you write that the work is ∫F.dx you are assuming the F and dx are being taken as positive in the same direction. The force is F, not -F, and the infinitesimal displacement is dx, not -dx. Each of those might take a negative value, but that's another matter. E.g. If the integration range is 1 to 0 then the dx's will be negative.

haruspex said:
You need to be consistent with assignments of positive directions. When you write that the work is ∫F.dx you are assuming the F and dx are being taken as positive in the same direction. The force is F, not -F, and the infinitesimal displacement is dx, not -dx. Each of those might take a negative value, but that's another matter. E.g. If the integration range is 1 to 0 then the dx's will be negative.

So it does not matter the "absolute" value, it is the relative value right?

For example
haruspex said:

Ups, I made a mistake, what is given is the field not the force. So we have:

dW= Fdr =-qEdr , where the minus sign means the work is done by a force applied against the field, assuming a possitive charge. After integration this work is positive.
If the force is on the same direction as the field E, we simply have to change the sign to get:

dW= q E dr, and the work will be positive.After integration this work is negative, meaning the work has been done by the original system of charges.

Is this correct?

jonjacson said:
W= - (+2) * ∫ 2x * (-dx)= 4 * ∫x dx = 4 (x2/2) and this must be evaluated from 2, lower limit, to 0 upper limit. So I get:
4 ( 0 - 4/2) = -8
Differential work dW done by the (externally applied) force F is F⋅ds = -qE⋅ds = -2(2x)(-dx) = 4x dx.
dx is by definition positive. It's a magnitude. If you want to go negative it's -dx as I've done above. If I write "-2" the "2" is still positive.
So it's W = Σ(4x dx) = ∫4x dx from 0 to 2, not 2 to 0, = +8.
In the work formula there is always a minus to show the applied force is opposite to the field, so once you have introduced that minus sign at the start of the formula, you don't need to specify in which direction the differential of length goes?
My best answer is the above: -qE⋅ds = -2(2x)(-dx) = 4x dx, dx > 0 always.

Nice thing about physics is that usually common sense tells you the sign! Keep that in mind and be careful with the grammar. For example, distinguish between work done by an E field vs. work done by an external force against an E field, etc.

dha3oz.jpg

Maybe an image will help.

Why do you say we have to evaluate the integral from 0 to 2 if the exercise is asking from 2 to 0?

rude man said:
dx is by definition positive.
No.
jonjacson said:
Why do you say we have to evaluate the integral from 0 to 2
You don't have to.

Why do you say we have to evaluate the integral from 0 to 2 if the exercise is asking from 2 to 0?
You can integrate from 2 to 0 but then you have to integrate -2(2x)(dx) = -4∫xdx from 2 to 0 = +8 again.
dx is always +; the necessary sign is provided by the limits of integration going from 2 to 0 instead of the other way around.

rude man said:
but then you have to integrate -2(2x)(dx)
No, you don't.
rude man said:
dx is always +
No, it isn't.

If I integrate ∫x=01x.dx I get 1/2. If I integrate ∫x=10x.dx I get -1/2. It is unnecessary to turn the second into - ∫x=01x.dx or Into -∫x=10x.|dx|.

Last edited:
I don't know if I get it. It looks like in this case signs do not represent absolute spatial orientation, they are an artificial criterion to show if two quantities are parallel or antiparallel right?

jonjacson said:
I don't know if I get it. It looks like in this case signs do not represent absolute spatial orientation, they are an artificial criterion to show if two quantities are parallel or antiparallel right?
Which post are you replying to?

haruspex said:
Which post are you replying to?

It was a generic sentence.

To make it clear, there are four signs in this equation:

-the first sign, that is there because of a definition
-the sign of the charge
-the sign of the force and of the differential of path

The first, and the last two are related right?

If E is positive on the x axis, and an applied force against E moves the particle on the negative axis direction the work will be positive, supplied to the system.

If E is positive, and there is work done on the particle that moves to the right, that energy is provided by the field E and the work is negative.

But, what if it is not clear from the equations if the net effect is positive or negative?

jonjacson said:
of the differential of path
It is unnecessary to insert a sign relating to the path. It should arise naturally from the integration bounds.
jonjacson said:
what if it is not clear from the equations if the net effect is positive or negative?
Can you give an example?

haruspex said:
It is unnecessary to insert a sign relating to the path. It should arise naturally from the integration bounds.

Can you give an example?

THanks for that. So inside the integral there is no need to add any artificial sign.

What about the first sign? If the force is not applied against the field, but instead we are talking about the field itself there is no minus sign at the start right?

Well I imagine a complex tridimensional field, and a complicated path where I can't see a priori if the work is going to be negative or positive.

jonjacson said:
If the force is not applied against the field, but instead we are talking about the field itself there is no minus sign at the start right?
jonjacson said:
a complicated path
You don't need to do anything special according to the direction of the force or route of the path.
##W = \int_S\vec F.\vec {ds}##
If we ignore mass and/or acceleration:
##\vec F = -q\vec E##
##W = -q\int_S\vec E.\vec {ds}##
In the present problem, the first leg is from (2,0,0) to (0,0,0):
##W_1 = -q\int_{x=2}^0 E_x.dx = q\int_{x=0}^2 E_x.dx##

haruspex said:
You don't need to do anything special according to the direction of the force or route of the path.
##W = \int_S\vec F.\vec {ds}##
If we ignore mass and/or acceleration:
##\vec F = -q\vec E##
##W = -q\int_S\vec E.\vec {ds}##
In the present problem, the first leg is from (2,0,0) to (0,0,0):
##W_1 = -q\int_{x=2}^0 E_x.dx = q\int_{x=0}^2 E_x.dx##

I find really weird seeing that E is pointing to the right in the x axis, the path is pointing to the left and you don't get an extra minus sign when you multiply them.

Since those two quantities are vectors they have a magnitude, but they also have a direction. ds for me is equal to -dx i.
Being i the unit vector in the positive x axis.

If you write E and ds explicitly you have:

E= (2x,...)
ds= (-dx,...)

That is basic geometry, if you multiply them you get an extra minus sign.

In other words, I would understand what you just wrote if the x-axis were positive to the left, and negative to the right of the point (2,0,0), but that is not the case. Maybe I should go to bed and tomorrow look for it.

jonjacson said:
ds for me is equal to -dx i.
I assume you mean ##\vec{ds}=-\vec i dx##. (ds typically stands for ##|\vec {ds}|##.)
If so, that is wrong. By definition, ##\vec {ds} = (dx, dy, ...) = \vec i dx+\vec j dy+...##.
dx is an increase in x. If the path is going right to left then that increase is negative, i.e. dx takes a negative value.

haruspex said:
I assume you mean ##\vec{ds}=-\vec i dx##. (ds typically stands for ##|\vec {ds}|##.)
If so, that is wrong. By definition, ##\vec {ds} = (dx, dy, ...) = \vec i dx+\vec j dy+...##.
dx is an increase in x. If the path is going right to left then that increase is negative, i.e. dx takes a negative value.
Yes, I meant that.

Now it is clear. Thanks!

Excellent.

Likes jonjacson

What is "Sign of differential length in work"?

"Sign of differential length in work" refers to the direction in which a system is changing in length, often used in the context of physics or engineering. It is typically represented by a plus or minus sign and indicates whether the system is expanding or contracting.

How is the sign of differential length in work determined?

The sign of differential length in work is determined by the direction of the force applied to the system. If the force is in the same direction as the displacement, the sign is positive. If the force is in the opposite direction of the displacement, the sign is negative.

Why is the sign of differential length in work important?

The sign of differential length in work is important because it indicates the direction of energy transfer in a system. This can affect the overall work done on the system and determine how the system will change in length over time.

Can the sign of differential length in work change?

Yes, the sign of differential length in work can change if the direction of the force applied to the system changes. This can happen if the force is applied at an angle or if the direction of the force changes during the process.

What other factors can affect the sign of differential length in work?

In addition to the direction of the force, the sign of differential length in work can also be affected by the magnitude of the force and the properties of the system, such as its elasticity or rigidity.