Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick question regarding a step in a bra ket derivation

1. Nov 21, 2014 #1
    In class we went through the derivation of the energy of a perturbed system, ive dug my old notes out and found a bra ket derivation of the same thing, theres just one step that doesnt look right and was wondering if someone could tell me if its a misprint or actually correct (and why).

[tex]E_{n}^{1}\left \langle \Psi _{k}^{0} |\Psi _{n}^{0} \right \rangle = E_{n}^{0}\delta _{kn}[/tex]

im assuming its a misprint, but then its presented in the final solution.i.e. you need everything in terms of [tex]E_{n}^{0}[/tex] for it to work.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2014 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Indeed, ##\left \langle \Psi _{k}^{0} |\Psi _{n}^{0} \right \rangle = \delta _{kn}## so what you say should hold. Without seeing the full derivation and knowing exactly what is being argued, it is difficult to tell though.

4. Nov 22, 2014 #3
    Thanks for the reply! I managed to borrow my freinds scanner and have attached the derivation. I've put a red arrow (2nd file) which indicates the problem / misprint. As you can see you need it as printed to get alpha k n.

edit yes its a misprint, the term goes to zero in the following step, must be going blind!!! thanks for the help anyway!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook