Quieter Korotkoff sounds when taking blood thinners?

• Thread starter berkeman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Blood
In summary, her Korotkoff sounds were faint when taking her blood pressure, but her systolic pressure was still typical. She may be experiencing a reduced vascular compliance due to her medication. However, other causes should also be considered.
berkeman
Mentor
I have a patient that I have known for a long time, and her Korotkoff sounds have always been pretty typical in volume when I've taken her blood pressure. But after a recent medical incident, her doctor has put her on a long-term blood thinner medication.

I was taking her BP a couple of days ago, and her Korotkoff sounds were so faint that I had to end up just taking the BP by palpation. Her systolic pressure was still typical for her (around 126/P), so I don't think that was the issue with the sounds being so quiet. Does anybody know if using blood thinners can result in quieter Korotkoff sounds when auscultating BP? My Google-foo is failing me...

Biology news on Phys.org
I find nothing on Medline, JAMA or NIH directly. Also tried drug names and "brands", examples: Warfarin, Xarelto, Heparin, and Dabagatran. Zilch.

The bad news is there are hits for other causes. As in: it is definitely possible you should consider getting another medical opinion before you write it off. ...like you did not already know this :smile:

Likes berkeman
From a non-medical standpoint, it sounds like there is reduced blood flow - perhaps from an upstream restriction. With normal vasculature downstream of a constriction, this would also effectively implement a low-pass filter. (in electrical or mechanical terms, a resistance followed by a compliance.)
Probably @boneh3ad or @Chestermiller can give better insight though.

Last edited:
Likes jim mcnamara
jim mcnamara said:
The bad news is there are hits for other causes. As in: it is definitely possible you should consider getting another medical opinion before you write it off. ...like you did not already know this
Yeah, I need to look into other causes. Decreased vascular compliance looks to be a candidate:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4800516/

Except for the quick onset of it in this patient. I'll check her a few more times to be sure, and have her mention it to her doc. Thanks for the help guys. :smile:

berkeman said:
But after a recent medical incident, her doctor has put her on a long-term blood thinner medication.
Blood thinner doesn't really thin the blood, it limits the ability to clot, so that shouldn't have a direct effect.
( Perhaps, in addition her diet has changed, and she is on a more liquid intake, which should find its way into the bloodstream )

Have you investigated the
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auscultatory_gap
as a route to your findings.

1. What are Korotkoff sounds and why are they important when taking blood thinners?

Korotkoff sounds are the sounds heard when taking a blood pressure measurement using a blood pressure cuff and stethoscope. These sounds are important when taking blood thinners because they can indicate changes in blood flow and pressure, which can be affected by the medication.

2. Why do Korotkoff sounds become quieter when taking blood thinners?

Korotkoff sounds become quieter when taking blood thinners because these medications work by slowing down the blood's ability to clot. As a result, the blood flow becomes smoother and less turbulent, leading to quieter Korotkoff sounds.

3. Are quieter Korotkoff sounds a cause for concern when taking blood thinners?

No, quieter Korotkoff sounds are not a cause for concern when taking blood thinners. In fact, it is a sign that the medication is working as intended to thin the blood and improve blood flow.

4. Can taking blood thinners affect the accuracy of blood pressure readings?

Yes, taking blood thinners can affect the accuracy of blood pressure readings. Since these medications can make Korotkoff sounds quieter, it may be more challenging to accurately determine the blood pressure. It is essential to inform your healthcare provider if you are taking blood thinners to ensure accurate readings.

5. What should I do if I notice a significant change in my Korotkoff sounds while taking blood thinners?

If you notice a significant change in your Korotkoff sounds, such as becoming louder or irregular, it is important to inform your healthcare provider. It could be a sign of a potential side effect or interaction with other medications. Your doctor may need to adjust your dosage or change your medication to ensure your safety and well-being.