Which home BP monitors take the pressures on the way up?

• Medical
  • Thread starter berkeman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Home
In summary, most home BP monitors take the pressures on the way down only (during slow cuff deflation) - this can be pretty agitating to some patients and can result in a higher systolic pressure reading.
berkeman
Mentor
One thing I've found in taking thousands of manual BP measurements on patients is that the tightening BP cuff can agitate the patient, and result in a higher systolic pressure reading. This seems to be more common in muscular athletes, but I've found it in many types of patients. For this reason, I typically take my time and get approximate diastolic and systolic estimates as I pump up the cuff, and then get the more accurate pressure readings on the way down.

It seems like most home BP monitors take the pressures on the way down only (during slow cuff deflation) -- they first pump up the cuff until there are no Korotkoff sounds plus another 20mmHg or so, which can be pretty agitating to some patients. With about 10% of my patients, I hear the systolic sounds starting to diminish as I get close to the systolic pressure, and then if I take too long turning around and starting to deflate the cuff, I can hear the sounds building up again because the cuff is getting uncomfortable for the patient.

A couple years ago at my dentist's office when they were doing their once-yearly check of my BP, they used a monitor that appeared to take the pressures on the way up during slow inflation. As soon as the monitor was happy with the diminishing sounds just at the systolic pressure, it deflated. It was a much more comfortable experience compared to the monitors that just blast their way up to 140+ mmHg before starting to listen (and then blasting even higher when they detect the agitated patient's sounds still).

I've been trying to find such a monitor for a friend of mine who has experienced this effect of getting agitated by the cuff over-inflation (with the resulting raised systolic readings by their monitor). But in my Google searching, I haven't been able to figure out the right feature name or search terms to use to find this class of home BP monitors. Does anybody know what this feature is called? And if you know of home BP monitor models that have this feature, I'd appreciate a link or two.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
Called 'Inflation Mode Technology' by Microlife

Ps.: also, 'Cuff-inflation hypertension'

Ps2.: just to avoid any misunderstandings - I've just picked up the google-challenge here...:biggrin:

Likes berkeman
Rive said:
'Inflation Mode Technology' by Microlife
Thanks! Do they only offer this feature in their wrist monitor products? I'm not able to figure that out yet from their website...

https://www.microlife.com/technologies/blood-pressure/imt-technology

Do you know if they are the only company that offers that feature? Do they have a patent on it?

I've found at least two of their products with this feature: BP A3L Comfort and BP W2 Slim

But this is also just google.

Likes berkeman
Rive said:
I've found at least two of their products with this feature: BP A3L Comfort
Yeah, it looks like the "imt" symbol by their products indicates this feature:

https://www.microlife.com/consumer-products/blood-pressure/upper-arm-automatic/bp-a3l-comfort

Maybe ask your dentist?

Likes berkeman
Just out of interest there are now a number of smart watches that measure BP, pulse and O2 saturation. I looked up some of the initial studies on BP measurement by these devices, some of which are now being used in clinical practice following FDA approval. The BP is arrived at, using complex algorithms derived from the other sensors, the initial studies have suggested that these are at least as accurate as the usual cuff instruments and in fact may be better. We may be in for a change, as these devices can also remember and plot results over time.

What are home BP monitors?

Home BP monitors are devices used to measure and track blood pressure at home. They are typically electronic devices that display the systolic and diastolic blood pressure readings.

Why is it important to take blood pressure readings on the way up?

Taking blood pressure readings on the way up allows for a more accurate measurement of blood pressure. This is because blood pressure can fluctuate throughout the day and taking readings on the way up can capture any changes.

Which home BP monitors take the pressures on the way up?

There are several home BP monitors that are designed to take readings on the way up. These include the Omron 10 Series Wireless Upper Arm Blood Pressure Monitor, the Withings BPM Connect, and the QardioArm Wireless Blood Pressure Monitor.

How do home BP monitors take the pressures on the way up?

Home BP monitors take the pressures on the way up by using an oscillometric method. This method measures the vibrations in the arteries caused by blood flow and converts it into an electronic signal, which is then displayed as a blood pressure reading.

Are home BP monitors accurate in taking readings on the way up?

Most home BP monitors are accurate in taking readings on the way up, but it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper use. It is also recommended to have your home BP monitor calibrated and checked for accuracy by a healthcare professional at least once a year.