Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quiz: Do the changing seasons affect digestion in cattle?

1. Jan 11, 2007 #1

I'm an artist, currently researching the four stomachs of a cow for my sculpture project.

As part of my finished piece I wish to incorperate the seasons of the year.
    Four seasons and four stomachs would fit together nicely. If there happens to be some kind of real connection it would benifit my finished piece greatly.
    I know next to nothing about biology, so any help on the matter is greatly appreciated.

Thanking you kindly,
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Unfortunately, you've picked one of the non-seasonal farm animals for your subject. Even in the seasonal ruminants, there isn't any change in the stomachs, just in other aspects of nutrition and food intake.

I'm not really sure why you'd want to make a sculpture of cow stomachs though. They aren't very aesthetically pleasing. Big bags full of foul-smelling contents. :yuck:
  4. Feb 26, 2007 #3

Aesthetics are my area of expertise, I decide which is or is not aesthetically pleasing for you! :biggrin:

Thank you the information.

As for the yucky distasteful aesthetic of my sculpture, I have already concluded my piece in several drawings, the maquette is work-in-progress... 4 limestone rocks, arranged to compass N, E, S, W, in order of digestion and of the cycle of the yearcarved into shape with a sandblasted finish, no polish... each one has little holes and tunnels inside formed through a process I had to invent by treating the limestone with an acidic solution... The final piece, when in situ, will create sound through standing waves, which vary in pitch depending on the level of the water table of the are... I hear dead people!
    Each stone also has a narrative, written as Gaielge on the stones surface, which will eventually disappear through the natural erosion of the rock.

I assure you, from my stockpile of reference material, only all secondary and tertiary research was gathered... :wink:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?