Radians vs Degrees: Math Trigonometry Explained

In summary: However, if the context is not mathematical in nature, then degrees may be preferred in everyday conversation. Regardless, it is important to clarify which unit is being used in order to provide the correct answer. In summary, when solving a problem involving trigonometry, the choice of whether to use radians or degrees depends on the context in which the problem is presented. In mathematics, radians are typically used, but in everyday conversation, degrees may be more appropriate. It is important to clarify which unit is being used in order to provide the correct solution.
johann1301h
Im teaching math and one of my students asked me something about trigonometry.

Say you are to generally solve:

sin(x + 1) = 0.5

And that's all the information you are given.

How would you know to solve for radians or degrees?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You don't. It's probably decided by the context: in mathematics alone I would always chose radians, but in a conversation with ordinary people, degrees might be a better choice. It's the same as with any units, take the appropriate ones in the context.

johann1301h said:
Im teaching math and one of my students asked me something about trigonometry.

Say you are to generally solve:

sin(x + 1) = 0.5

And that's all the information you are given.

How would you know to solve for radians or degrees?
If the problem is given as shown, the answer must be in radians. If degrees were meant, the problem should have been stated

sin(x + 1°) = 0.5

Likes Archie Medes
Svein said:
If the problem is given as shown, the answer must be in radians. If degrees were meant, the problem should have been stated

sin(x + 1°) = 0.5
That's what I thought as well. "1" without degree sign means we are working with radians, otherwise adding 1 doesn't make sense. If the question is sin(2*x)=0.5 then we cannot tell.

mfb said:
That's what I thought as well. "1" without degree sign means we are working with radians, otherwise adding 1 doesn't make sense. If the question is sin(2*x)=0.5 then we cannot tell.
Then you indicate what type of answer you have given, such as x = 15° or x = π/12.

Generally it is degree.

malemdk said:
Generally it is degree.
Not if your degree is in mathematics.

Likes Ravikant Rajan, fresh_42 and mfb
malemdk said:
Generally it is degree.

jbriggs444 said:
Not if your degree is in mathematics.
The use of radians is much more prevalent in mathematics, especially at the level of calculus and above. All of the differentiation and integration formulas for the trig functions use radians exclusively.

What is the difference between radians and degrees?

Radians and degrees are two units used to measure angles. Radians are based on the circumference of a circle, where 1 radian is equal to the angle subtended by an arc with a length equal to the radius of the circle. Degrees, on the other hand, are based on dividing a circle into 360 equal parts. This means that 1 degree is equal to 1/360th of a circle.

Which unit is more commonly used in mathematics?

In mathematics, radians are the more commonly used unit for measuring angles. This is because radians are based on the properties of the circle, making them more useful for solving trigonometric equations and other mathematical problems.

How do you convert between radians and degrees?

To convert from radians to degrees, you can use the formula degrees = radians * (180/π). To convert from degrees to radians, you can use the formula radians = degrees * (π/180). Alternatively, you can use a calculator with a built-in conversion function.

Why do we use both radians and degrees?

Radians and degrees serve different purposes in mathematics. Radians are used for more complex mathematical calculations, while degrees are more commonly used in everyday situations such as measuring angles in geometry or navigation. Additionally, some problems and equations are easier to solve using one unit over the other.

Which unit should I use in my calculations?

The unit you use in your calculations will depend on the specific problem or equation you are solving. In general, radians are more commonly used in advanced mathematical concepts such as calculus, while degrees are more commonly used in basic geometry and trigonometry problems. It is important to be familiar with both units and know when to use each one to solve a problem accurately.