Radiated energy by decelerating (relativistic) point charge

In summary: The energy radiated is then just the work done by the force over the distance traveled. In summary, a point charge is moving relativistically with constant speed ##\beta## along the x-axis. At t = 0 a constant decelerating force F is applied in the opposite direction of its velocity. The total radiated energy can be found by using the Lienard's equation and calculating the work done by the force over the distance traveled. Alternatively, the energy radiated can also be calculated by subtracting the work done by the force from the initial kinetic energy of the charge.
taha.hojati

Homework Statement

A point charge q is moving relativistically with constant speed ##\beta## along the x-axis.
At t = 0 a constant decelerating force F is applied in opposite direction of
its velocity. If the charge stops after traveling a distance d, find the total radiated
energy.

Homework Equations

I found these equations in Griffith's book:

Total radiated power by a relativistically moving point charge (Lienard's eq.):
$$P = \frac{\mu_0 q^2 \gamma^6}{6 \pi c} (a^2 - |\frac{\beta \times a }{c} | ) $$ Here again ##\beta## is the the velocity of the charge (in SI units), and a is its acceleration.

Newton's law of motion for charged particle (with radiation reaction):
$$a= \tau \dot{a} + \frac{F}{m}$$ here ##\tau = \frac{\mu_0 q^2}{6 \pi c } ##, (## m \tau \dot{a} ## is the abraham-lorentz formula for the radiation reaction).
This equation is from Griffith's book but I am a little confused by it because in relativity we have ##F_{net} = \frac{d}{dt} \gamma m v \neq m a##.

The Attempt at a Solution

First I tried to find acceleration and velocity based on time by solving the differential equation ==>
$$ a = -\frac{F}{m} e^{t/\tau} + \frac{F}{m} $$
$$\Rightarrow v= \beta + \frac{F}{m} ( t - e^{t/\tau})$$
From here I wanted to find ##t_{final}## based on d and then calculate the total energy radiated by integrating the Lienard's equation, but I am unsure since it seems like I am forgetting all I learned about relativity in my mechanics class (also the integral is hard).

So I thought I can approach from conservation of energy aspect. So total kinetic energy is ##KE_{initial} = (\gamma-1) m c^2 ##. Now part of this energy is radiated and the rest is spent on resisting the force F. So can I just write ##E_{rad} = KE_{initial} - F d ## ? That would make everything easier. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
You know that before the force is applied there is no radiation. You also know that the acceleration is in the opposite direction of the velocity. The cross product of any two col-linear vectors is 0 so you can drop the cross product term.

1. How does a decelerating relativistic point charge emit radiation?

When a charged particle, such as an electron, undergoes acceleration or deceleration, it creates a ripple in the surrounding electric and magnetic fields. This ripple travels outwards as electromagnetic radiation, carrying away energy from the particle and causing it to slow down. This is known as the Larmor formula for radiation.

2. Is the radiation emitted by a decelerating relativistic point charge different from regular electromagnetic radiation?

Yes, the radiation emitted by a decelerating relativistic point charge is different from regular electromagnetic radiation. This is because the energy of the emitted radiation is dependent on the acceleration of the particle, which is different for relativistic and non-relativistic particles. Relativistic particles can emit higher energy radiation due to their higher speeds.

3. Can the emitted radiation be detected and measured?

Yes, the radiation emitted by a decelerating relativistic point charge can be detected and measured using various instruments such as antennas, detectors, and spectrometers. These instruments can pick up the oscillations in the electric and magnetic fields and measure the energy and frequency of the emitted radiation.

4. How does the energy radiated by a decelerating relativistic point charge affect the particle's motion?

The energy radiated by a decelerating relativistic point charge carries away a portion of the particle's kinetic energy, causing it to slow down. This loss of energy is known as radiation damping or Bremsstrahlung, and it leads to a decrease in the particle's velocity and acceleration. In some cases, it can even cause the particle to come to a complete stop.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the concept of radiation by decelerating relativistic point charges?

Yes, the concept of radiation by decelerating relativistic point charges has several real-world applications. It is used in particle accelerators to generate high-energy radiation for scientific research and medical treatments. It is also utilized in radio and television broadcasting, where antennas pick up the electromagnetic radiation emitted by the electrons in the transmitting antenna.