1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charged particle in a B field, tensor notation

1. Jul 21, 2015 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A charged particle of charge q with arbitrary velocity ##\vec v_0## enters a region with a constant ##\vec B_0## field.
    1)Write down the covariant equations of motion for the particle, without considering the radiation of the particle.
    2)Find ##x^\mu (\tau)##
    3)Find the Lorentz transformation such that the motion of the particle is restricted to a plane.
    4)Calculate the dipole term of the fields and the average radiated EM power by the particle.

2. Relevant equations
    ##\tau=t\gamma##

3. The attempt at a solution
    1)##\frac{dp^\alpha}{d\tau}=qU_\beta F^{\alpha \beta}## would be my reply.
    Where ##p^\alpha## is the four-momentum, ##U_\beta## is the four-velocity and ##F^{\alpha \beta}## is the electromagnetic tensor.
    2)I solved the equation found in 1) by writing the tensors under matrix form. I got that ##x^\alpha=(ct,x^1(t),x^2(t),0)## where ##x^1(t)=\frac{mv_{0x}}{qB_0}\sin \left ( \frac{qB_0 t}{m} \right ) + x^1_0## and ##x^2(t)=\frac{mv_{0x}}{qB_0}\cos \left ( \frac{qB_0 t}{m} \right ) + x^2_0##. Now I just realize that they asked in terms of ##\tau## and not t. Well I get ##x^1(\tau)=\frac{mv_{0x}}{qB_0\sqrt{\gamma}}\sin \left ( \frac{qB_0\sqrt{\gamma}\tau}{m} \right )##.
    3)I'm out of ideas on this one. I know I can express the tensor of the Lorentz transformation as a matrix (I guess this way: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorentz_transformation#Matrix_forms) but I'm not sure what they're asking for when they ask for the motion to be in a plane. Isn't the motion already in the x-y plane in my case? I picked ##\vec B_0## as ##B_0\hat z## originally.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yea, your motion is in a plane, but it is not the most general solution to the equations of motion. In trying to solve 2, you solved the special case 3.

4. Jul 22, 2015 #3

fluidistic

Gold Member

I see. Is it because I chose the magnetic field to be oriented in the z direction? I would have thought that I'd need a boost in a particular direction to solve 3), not picking a convenient orientation.

5. Jul 22, 2015 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is the combination of selecting the B-field in the z-direction and assuming that there is no velocity component in the z-direction.

6. Jul 25, 2015 #5

fluidistic

Gold Member

Well then I miserably failed, even at solving part 3 since there's no way I can pick the velocity to vanish in the z direction (unless I apply a boost maybe?). I'll try to solve the problem in a correct way. Which means, I believe, that I can pick the orientation for the B field to be in the z direction but I can't assume that there's no speed in the z direction.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
  7. Jul 25, 2015 #6

fluidistic

Gold Member

Ok I've redone part 2. I had made some mistakes previously I think.
    I get [tex]x^\mu (\tau) = (c\gamma \tau , \gamma ^2 v_{0x}\frac{B_0q}{m}\sin \left ( \frac{m\tau }{q\gamma B_0} \right ) +x_0 , -\frac{mv_{0x}}{qB_0}\cos \left ( \frac{m \tau}{q\gamma B_0} \right ) +y_0, z_0 )[/tex].
    The fact that I get different amplitudes in front of the sine and cosine really bothers me. This would make an elliptical trajectory in the x-y plane projection instead of circular path. Am I doing things wrong?

8. Jul 25, 2015 #7

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The easiest way to check is to insert your result into the original differential equation ...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted