Radiation in the far field for a current carrying loop

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with calculating radiating fields in the far zone for a loop with a current. The procedure involves evaluating the current density and vector potential, but the integrals involved cannot be solved. It is suggested to approximate a term and assume small values for the frequency and loop size.
Mr. Rho
Hi people, I have a problem with some integral here.

I have a loop of radius a, with a current I = Ioe-iωt' and trying to calculate the radiating fields in the far zone, my procedement is:

Current density: J(r',t') = Ioδ(r'-a)δ(θ'-π/2)e-iωt'/2πa2 φ (φ direction)

Here t' = t - |r-r'|/c (retarded time)

I evaluate the vector potential: A(r,t) = ∫vJ(r',t')dV/|r-r'|

I approximate 1/|r-r'| ≈ 1/r because in the far zone this term does not affect too much compared with the exponential, and |r-r'| ≈ r - aSinθCos(φ-φ') for the exponential, that plays a major role in the far zone.

The problem is that I reach integrals that I can't solve:

∫ sinφ' e-ikaSinθCos(φ-φ') dφ'
for x direction

and ∫ sinφ' e-ikaSinθCos(φ-φ') dφ' for y direction (both integrals from 0 to 2π).

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I don't know, any help?

(r' are the source coordinates and r the observer coordinates)

Physics news on Phys.org
Usually it is assumed that you are working with low enough frequencies and a small enough loop that you can take ##a## to be small in relation to the wavelength of the radiation. Then you can approximate ##e^{-ika \sin \theta \cos (\phi - \phi ')}##.

1. What is "radiation in the far field" for a current carrying loop?

"Radiation in the far field" refers to the electromagnetic waves that are produced by a current carrying loop and travel through free space, far away from the loop itself. These waves are also known as far-field radiation or electromagnetic radiation.

2. How does a current carrying loop produce radiation in the far field?

A current carrying loop produces radiation in the far field through the acceleration of charges within the loop. As the charges accelerate, they create changes in the electromagnetic field, which results in the production of electromagnetic waves that propagate through free space.

3. What factors affect the strength of radiation in the far field for a current carrying loop?

The strength of radiation in the far field for a current carrying loop is affected by several factors, including the magnitude of the current, the size and shape of the loop, and the frequency of the current. The loop's distance from the observer and the conductivity of the surrounding medium can also impact the strength of the radiation.

4. How is the direction of radiation in the far field determined for a current carrying loop?

The direction of radiation in the far field for a current carrying loop is determined by the orientation of the loop and the direction of the current flow. According to the right-hand rule, the direction of the magnetic field lines around the loop will determine the direction of the radiation.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding radiation in the far field for a current carrying loop?

Understanding radiation in the far field for a current carrying loop is essential in many areas, including radio and television broadcasting, wireless communication, and electromagnetic interference (EMI) management. It is also critical in the design and optimization of antennas and other electromagnetic devices.