1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radiation therapy research ideas?

1. Mar 11, 2014 #1
    Hello everyone, I'm a radiation therapy 4th year undergrad student about to pursue some research in medical physics as a 4th year thesis project at a hospital. However I am really not sure what my thesis project should focus on. Because it is mandatory to conduct research on your original idea, and are not allowed to carry along with current research being done in the medical physics department in your hospital already, my research idea has to be purely original. Also it needs to be fairly simple/not tough (considering I'm still a beginner in medical physics, and this is also the first time doing research all on my own [with a supervisor, of course]) Also since I dont have a supervisor yet and will most likely find one after I have an idea on what I should do research on, I dont have any guidance from anyone.

Basically, is there anyone that could give me research topics in medical physics which consists of straight-forwards questions? Also topics that could be finished in a year's time span (or at least somewhat finished).

Thanks everyone for your help!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2014 #2
    Take my words with a grain of salt.

Radiation therapy. Research how to reduce side effects?
    Research how the effects of radiation therapy change when the person/animal has certain drugs going through their system?

Maybe expand on the knowledge of this disease, or explore how radiation therapy can be used on other, similar conditions: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantar_fibromatosis

4. Mar 11, 2014 #3

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Part of the exercise of doing these projects is coming up with an idea yourself based on your studies and readings.

Resources you may want to check out include the journals:
    Medical Physics
    Journal of Applied Clinical Medical Physics
    Physics in Medicine and Biology
    Medical Dosimetry

Also, in order to propose a project, you really have to have a clear idea of your constriants. How long is the project going to take? What resources will you have available? Do you want to do something that's hardware-related (such as characterizing a new type of detector or building an optical scanner), software-related (such as Monte Carlo simulations, image deformation), or something more clinically oriented (such as error tracking, assessing inter-observer or intra-obsever variability in 3D image registrations)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook