Radiation Therapist to Medical Dosimetrist or Physicist

In summary, the speaker is currently pursuing a bachelors in radiation therapy and plans to get a masters in dosimetry. They are considering if a PhD in medical physics would be a good option for career advancement. However, the speaker has concerns about their lack of physics and math background and suggests considering switching majors to obtain a BS in physics instead.
Kschoess
Hello! I’m currently in the process of earning my bachelors of science in radiation therapy. I plan to get my masters in dosimetry, but I was wondering if anyone know if it was possible for a medical dosimetrist to advance their career by earning their PhD in medical physics. Essentially, I’m wondering if someone with a degree in radiation therapy and/or a masters in medical dosimetry would be able to earn a degree in medical physics. Would love any advice! Thanks so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure and your background would help some but you would need to make up a lot of physics and math courses. I have lost contact with current credentialing for medical dosimetrists and have not heard of a masters in dosimetry programs. I would think if you are seriously considering a PhD in medical physics that you should concentrate more on addressing your physics/math course deficiency and skip the dosimetry masters program. It is my observation that BSRT programs do not provide courses in intermediate and advanced physics and math subjects required for a PhD program. I think it would be better to switch majors and take the extra time to get a BS in physics.

Where are you in your BS program.

Likes Choppy
I concur with @gleem.

You're going to have a hard time getting into a medical physics PhD program without a background in physics or something equivalent like engineering. And even if you could, I'm not sure that would really be the direction you'd want to go.

1. What is the difference between a Radiation Therapist, Medical Dosimetrist, and Physicist?

A Radiation Therapist is a medical professional who administers radiation treatment to patients. A Medical Dosimetrist is responsible for calculating the appropriate dose of radiation for a patient's treatment plan. A Physicist is in charge of ensuring the safety and accuracy of the radiation equipment and treatment delivery.

2. Can a Radiation Therapist become a Medical Dosimetrist or Physicist?

Yes, it is possible for a Radiation Therapist to pursue additional education and training to become a Medical Dosimetrist or Physicist. However, it requires a significant amount of time and dedication to complete the necessary coursework and clinical training.

3. What qualifications are needed to become a Medical Dosimetrist or Physicist?

To become a Medical Dosimetrist, one must have a bachelor's degree in a related field, such as radiation therapy or medical physics, and complete a one-year accredited medical dosimetry program. To become a Physicist, one must have a graduate degree in medical physics and complete a residency program.

4. What are the job responsibilities of a Medical Dosimetrist or Physicist?

A Medical Dosimetrist is responsible for creating treatment plans for patients using computer software and ensuring the accuracy of the radiation dose. A Physicist is responsible for maintaining and calibrating radiation equipment, conducting quality assurance checks, and ensuring the safety of patients and staff.

5. What is the job outlook for Medical Dosimetrists and Physicists?

The job outlook for both Medical Dosimetrists and Physicists is expected to grow in the coming years due to the increasing demand for radiation therapy in cancer treatment. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the employment of Medical Dosimetrists and Physicists is projected to grow 15% and 11%, respectively, from 2019 to 2029.