• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Summer Research Ideas in Lasers/Laser Cooling

• Thread starter svrphy
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hello,
I am a final Year undergrad in B.Sc in Electronics. I am going to apply for a Summer Research (2months period )in Lasers in other institutions and I am thinking to work on Laser Cooling. I have to specify a short, innovative project idea.
I have gone through courses in Quantum mechanics, Microprocessors, Communication systems ,E&M & optics.

Can anybody give me any ideas which can suitably apply my knowledge of microcontrollers/communication systems to Lasers . Eg : i went through the following (but couldn't get the essence of the whole thing)
http://arxiv.org/abs/1104.0064

PS : Most professors in the institutions are working of BEC, Lasers, Quantum Optics and Laser Cooling. But, given my knowledge set, i thought i could manage lasers/laser cooling the best & of course would be thankful for all ideas

Thanks very much in advance ..

Answers and Replies

UltrafastPED
Science Advisor
Gold Member
So you would like to build a control system for a laser process? That very much depends on the feedback signals that are available, and an understanding of the control algorithm required.

I have seen undergraduates do excellent work on summer projects - with laser based experiments - but the basic design of the project, as well as all of the hardware were already available in most cases.

So I suggest that you contact the people that you would be working with and have them suggest a project - then they will be providing some support.

So I suggest that you contact the people that you would be working with and have them suggest a project - then they will be providing some support.
Actually If I can come up with some illustrative ideas, and talk to them, I think they can tell me the type of apparatus available.

I have seen undergraduates do excellent work on summer projects - with laser based experiments - but the basic design of the project, as well as all of the hardware were already available in most cases.
could you get me an idea from few of those so that I may talk to Respective faculty members.