1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Summer Research Ideas in Lasers/Laser Cooling

1. Oct 13, 2013 #1
    Hello,
    I am a final Year undergrad in B.Sc in Electronics. I am going to apply for a Summer Research (2months period )in Lasers in other institutions and I am thinking to work on Laser Cooling. I have to specify a short, innovative project idea.
    I have gone through courses in Quantum mechanics, Microprocessors, Communication systems ,E&M & optics.

Can anybody give me any ideas which can suitably apply my knowledge of microcontrollers/communication systems to Lasers . Eg : i went through the following (but couldn't get the essence of the whole thing)
    http://arxiv.org/abs/1104.0064

PS : Most professors in the institutions are working of BEC, Lasers, Quantum Optics and Laser Cooling. But, given my knowledge set, i thought i could manage lasers/laser cooling the best & of course would be thankful for all ideas

Thanks very much in advance ..

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2013 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So you would like to build a control system for a laser process? That very much depends on the feedback signals that are available, and an understanding of the control algorithm required.

I have seen undergraduates do excellent work on summer projects - with laser based experiments - but the basic design of the project, as well as all of the hardware were already available in most cases.

So I suggest that you contact the people that you would be working with and have them suggest a project - then they will be providing some support.

4. Oct 16, 2013 #3
    Actually If I can come up with some illustrative ideas, and talk to them, I think they can tell me the type of apparatus available.

could you get me an idea from few of those so that I may talk to Respective faculty members.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook