1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Radicals and the Ring of Quotients

1. Dec 21, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let ##S## be a multiplicative subset of a commutative ring ##R## with identity. If ##I## is an ideal in ##R##, then ##S^{-1}(\mbox{ Rad } I) = \mbox{Rad}(S^{-1}I)##.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

If ##x \in S^{-1}(\mbox{ Rad } I)##, then ##x = \frac{r}{s}## for some ##r \in \mbox{ Rad } I## and ##s \in S##. Hence, there exists an ##n \in \Bbb{N}## such that ##r^n \in I##; moreover, since ##S## is multiplicative, ##s^n \in S##. Therefore ##\left( \frac{r}{s} \right)^n = \frac{r^n}{s^n} \in S^{-1}I## which means that ##\frac{r}{s} \in \mbox{Rad}(S^{-1}I)##.

Now suppose that ##x \in \mbox{Rad}(S^{-1}I)##. Then there exists a natural number ##n## such that ##S^{-1}I \ni \left( \frac{r}{s} \right)^n = \frac{r^n}{s^n}##. Therefore ##r^n \in I## which implies ##r \in \mbox{Rad } I##, and so ##\frac{r}{s} \in S^{-1}(\mbox{ Rad } I)##.

Is it really that easy, or did I make a simple blunder?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2017 #2

fresh_42

2017 Award

Staff: Mentor

I don't follow your conclusion ##\operatorname{Rad}(S^{-1}I) \subseteq S^{-1}\operatorname{Rad}(I)##. With ##x \in \operatorname{Rad}(S^{-1}I)## we have ##x^n=rs^{-1}\; , \;r \in I##. How can we assume, that ##x## is of the form ##r^ns^{-n}\,##?

4. Dec 21, 2017 #3

fresh_42

2017 Award

I don't follow your conclusion ##\operatorname{Rad}(S^{-1}I) \subseteq S^{-1}\operatorname{Rad}(I)##. With ##x \in \operatorname{Rad}(S^{-1}I)## we have ##x^n=rs^{-1}\; , \;r \in I\,.## How can we assume, that ##x## is of the form ##r^ns^{-n}\,##?

5. Dec 21, 2017 #4
    Let me try again. Suppose that ##x \in \mbox{Rad}(S^{-1}I)##. Then ##x = \frac{r}{s}## with ##s \in S## and ##r \in R## such that ##x^n = \frac{r^n}{s^n} \in S^{-1} I##. Then by definition ##r^n \in I## and ##s^n \in S## and therefore ##r \in \mbox{Rad } I##. Hence ##\frac{r}{s} \in S^{-1} \mbox{Rad}(I)##.

6. Dec 21, 2017 #5

fresh_42

2017 Award

For ##x \in \operatorname{Rad}(S^{-1}I) ## we have ##x^n=s^{-1}r## with ##r \in I## by definition. But how do we know that ##x \in RS^{-1}\,?## What have I missed?

7. Dec 21, 2017 #6
    Well, ##I \subseteq R##, so ##S^{-1} I \subseteq S^{-1} R##.

8. Dec 21, 2017 #7

fresh_42

2017 Award

But you only have this for ##x^n## and not for ##x## itself. However, you keep making assumptions on ##x## which have to be proven.

Edit and hint: We want to have ##x=s^{-1}r'## with ##r' \in \operatorname{Rad}(I)## that is ##r'^{\,n} =(sx)^n \in I##.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  9. Dec 23, 2017 #8
    Okay. Here is another try. If ##x \in \mbox{ Rad }(S^{-1})##, then ##x^n \in S^{-1}I## for some ##n \in \Bbb{N}## and therefore ##x^n = \frac{r}{s}## with ##r \in I##. But ##x## is also an element in ##S^{-1}R##, so that ##x = \frac{t}{k}## for ##t \in R## and ##k \in S##. This implies ##\frac{t^n}{k^n} = \frac{r}{s}## which happens if and only if there exists an ##s_1 \in S## such that ##s_1(st^n - rk^n) = 0## or ##s_1s t^n = r s_1 k^n \in I##. Since ##I## is an ideal, ##s_1^n s^n t^n = r s_1^n k^n s^{n-1} \in I##. Hence ##x = \frac{t}{k} = \frac{s_1 s t}{s_1 sk}## with ##(s_1 s t)^n \in I##, which means ##x \in S^{-1} \mbox{ Rad }(I)##.

How does this sound?

10. Dec 23, 2017 #9

fresh_42

2017 Award

Certainly too complicated. And again, why is ##x \in S^{-1}R\;##? Anyway, you don't need this detour.

##x \in \operatorname{Rad}(S^{-1}I)## means ##x^n=s^{-1}r\;(r \in I)## and we get
    $$
    (sx)^n=s^nx^n=s^{n-1}r \in I \Longrightarrow sx \in \operatorname{Rad}I \Longrightarrow x \in S^{-1}(\operatorname{Rad}I)
    $$

11. Dec 23, 2017 #10
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted