Radii of Curvature for Separating CO2 with 12C and 14C

  • Thread starter Thread starter negat1ve
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Co2 Curvature
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
negat1ve
Messages
23
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Use the same device to separate singly charged CO2 having 12C and 14C. What are the radii of curvature?

This is a follow up question based on a HW problem I answered last week. The original problem was this:

A doubly charged helium atom is accelerated by a voltage 2700V. What will be its radius of curvature if it moves in a plane perpendicular to a uniform 0.340-T field?

Homework Equations



r = mv/qB

The Attempt at a Solution



I solved the original problem by saying
q = 2e for the doubly charged He

On accelerating through V volts
1/2mv^2 = qV = (2e)V

Where v = velocity acquired
v = squrt(4eV/m) = 2*squrt(eV/m)

I figured out the mass to be m = 7.26 x 10^-26kg

And then plugging into the formula.

Now this new follow up question is throwing me off a little bit. Based on the question asked and info given how would you separate the CO2? And what would be the charge q of the CO2? I am thinking it would be the 6e from C + 8e(2) of O2 = 22e. Is this correct? Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
No it's only the extra charge you put on to isonise it - generally just one e-
 
mgb_phys said:
No it's only the extra charge you put on to isonise it - generally just one e-

Oh ok I get it now. Thanks!