Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radio doppler experiment (astro)

1. Apr 21, 2012 #1
    Ive been going through some landers of Venus and Mars and I found they were equipped with radio doppler experiment(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venera_9 )

I was wondering what this does.
    I mean there is radio signal transmitted through space everywhere and i suppose the device would measure this transmitted radio.
    But is there doppler shift because the planet the lander is on is orbitting the Sun?
    If the planet orbitting the Sun is the reason for doppler shift, is the doppler shift experiment simply to measure how fast the planet is going?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2012 #2

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If I had to guess, I'd say that it had to do with wind speed measurements. Something akin to the Doppler radar we use for weather forecasting.

4. Apr 21, 2012 #3

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

This is not a guess.

Planetary Radio Interferometry and Doppler Experiment (PRIDE) for the Europa
    Jupiter System Mission
    Major components of the initiative scientific study and R&D activity:
    1. VLBI tracking of the planetary probes
    2. Doppler tracking in the One-Way or Multi-Way signal reception mode
    3. Propagation media effects study
    4. Direct-to Earth telemetry data reception from planetary probes, landers, penetrators, etc
    5. Passive radio spectroscopy of the natural molecular lines from planetary environments

www.planetaryprobe.eu/IPPW7/proceedings/.../Session3/pr525.pdf

There is a specific experiment for measuring the wind speed on Jupiter during the descent of a spacecraft. Google is your friend here.

5. Apr 21, 2012 #4

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In the Venera 9 mission, radar doppler instruments were primarily intended for bistatic mapping of the surface of Venus, which would permit extraction of surface profiles. For further details see http://www.mentallandscape.com/V_RadarMapping.htm

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook