Radioactive decay of granite -> How many years does it take?

In summary: The answer is what was asked for. I hope you understand how to arrive at the answer now!In summary, the radioactive decay of granite and other rocks in the Earth's interior provides sufficient energy to keep the interior molten and heat lava and hot springs. The average release of 0.03J per kilogram of granite each year can increase the temperature of a thermally insulated chunk of granite by 400°C in approximately 10,666,667 years. This can be calculated by dividing the necessary heat of 320 kJ by the amount of heat generated by radioactive decay each year, 0.03 J/kg/year.
Voltman123
Radioactive decay of granite ---> How many years does it take?

Homework Statement

Radioactive decay of granite and other rocks in the Earth's interior provides sufficient energy to keep the interior molten, to heat lava and to provide warmth to hot springs. This is due to the average release of about 0.03J per kilogram of granite each year. How many years are required for a "chunk" of thermally insulated granite to increase in temperature by 400°C. The specific heat capacity of granite is 800J/Kg°C.

Homework Equations

It looks like we've been given the change in temperature and the specific heat capacity for granite so it is likely that we will need to be using the equation:
Q=mcΔT

The Attempt at a Solution

Q=m(800)(400)
Not sure where to get the mass or value for Q though. So far, we have two unknowns.

Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Assume the chunk of granite has a mass of 1 kg.

Q is given in the problem statement (re-read it very carefully).

SteamKing said:
Assume the chunk of granite has a mass of 1 kg.

Q is given in the problem statement (re-read it very carefully).

Q=mcΔT
0.03 =m(800)(400)

Are we trying to work out the mass here?
If so, after finding out the mass, how does this help us in enabling us to find the number years required for a chunk of thermally insulated granite to increase in temperature by 400°C?

Any help would be appreciated!

Hello! Assume the mass = 1 kg.

SteamKing said:

But then we have all numbers?
I still don't get how I'm supposed to find the number of years using all this information. :(

SteamKing said:

Also, when I do assume mass=1kg,
Q=mcΔT = 1(800)(400)= 320 000 joules

(320 000 joules)/(0.03 J/kg per year)
=10 666 666.67kg per year.

Am I on the right track.

How do I get rid of the Kg sign?

By dividing it by something in kg? But how?

If m = 1 kg, then the Q necessary to raise the temperature 400 C is 800 J /kg-C * 400 C = 320 kJ.

Alternatively, one could say that the amount of heat necessary to raise the temperature of an insulated piece of granite is 320 kJ/kg. Now, if the heat generated by radioactivity is 0.03 J/kg/year, how many years will it take to generate 320 kJ?

SteamKing said:
If m = 1 kg, then the Q necessary to raise the temperature 400 C is 800 J /kg-C * 400 C = 320 kJ.

Alternatively, one could say that the amount of heat necessary to raise the temperature of an insulated piece of granite is 320 kJ/kg. Now, if the heat generated by radioactivity is 0.03 J/kg/year, how many years will it take to generate 320 kJ?

10 666 666.67 years?

As (320 kJ/kg)/(0.00004 kJ/kg/year)
=10 666 666.67 years?

Please help me someone. I don't understand. Is this right or wrong?

Your method looks fine, and the result has the right value. Watch the significant figures though; use scientific notation.

1. What is radioactive decay of granite?

Radioactive decay of granite is a natural process in which the unstable atoms of certain elements in granite, such as uranium and thorium, release energy in the form of radiation as they break down into more stable forms. This process is also known as radioactive disintegration.

2. How does radioactive decay of granite occur?

Radioactive decay of granite occurs when the unstable atoms of certain elements, such as uranium and thorium, emit alpha, beta, or gamma particles and transform into more stable atoms of different elements. This process continues until the granite reaches a state of equilibrium, where the rate of decay is equal to the rate of production of new atoms.

3. What factors affect the rate of radioactive decay of granite?

The rate of radioactive decay of granite can be affected by several factors, including the type and concentration of radioactive elements present in the granite, the temperature and pressure of the environment, and the presence of other minerals that can absorb or block radiation.

4. How long does it take for granite to undergo radioactive decay?

The time it takes for granite to undergo radioactive decay can vary greatly depending on the specific type and concentration of radioactive elements present. Some elements, such as uranium-238, have a half-life of over 4 billion years, while others, such as radon-222, have a half-life of only 3.8 days.

5. Can the rate of radioactive decay of granite be accelerated or slowed down?

No, the rate of radioactive decay of granite is a constant and natural process that cannot be accelerated or slowed down. However, the rate of decay can be affected by external factors, such as the presence of other minerals or the temperature and pressure of the environment, as mentioned earlier.